Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Problem with engine rattling and shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Default Problem with engine rattling and shut off

Hi, I have a 1993 E250 4.9 straight 6 engine and have been experiencing the rattling when i step on the gas. Once in a while the van will shut off completely especially when switch to reverse gear. Last week i was waiting for the light to turn green on an up hill intersection and the van was rattling like if someone was kept on rear ending the van. It was bad but managed to switch to neutral and back to drive. the van has not done what it did up on that hill but would like to fix it. I do remember the smog guy telling me on 2007 that the EGR Valve need more vaccum in order to pass smog. He gave the EGR Valve more vaccum and passed smog but have not replaced the valve yet. I was asking about the valve because i want to be sure that it is the valve and not any of the EGR components that work with the valve. Thanks everyone.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
jdl
Default RE: Problem with engine rattling and shut off

See if there are any troublecodes? I saw a couple of old service bulletins on this vehicle for rough idle--stall- hesitation. One bulletin was for a thermostat stuck in the open position. Does it reach operating temp quickly, does the heater work ok?
The other bulletin was for a leaking throttle-body gasket.
There could be alot of things that might cause that problem. Has it had a tuneup lately?

I just wanted to add, I realize you were asking about the EGR, but, you can't overlook some of the other possible causes.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanks JDL, I have done a tune on the van. I replaced the thermostat about 7 months ago and JB welded a pin hole on the housing that was causing the van to overheat. I dont know if the throttle -body is leaking or not. Is there a home test i can do. As far as the van being at idle it feels like the van is off. It is very still and smooth. However though when i hot the van i had to do many repairs in order to bring up to working order. My major repair was the motor mounts and the vaccum system. Thanks alot

Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Hi everyone, I just got back from Auto Zone and found out that the tester came back with two different codes but only one was found in the book. The other code is not found in the book but makes sense with what jdl said about the throttle.

Code 1 read 334 - EGR Valve Position Sensor- Signal Voltage higher than expected..( Closed Valve Position )

Code2 read 133 but not found on the book i saw that code123 reads Throttle position voltage problem.

Any help is greatfull thanks everyone.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:17 PM

I had a lincoln that used to die when put into reverse. It was a dirty idle control valve. I took it off, sprayed some crab cleaner in, and It never had the problem again.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 AM

change the EGR valve....

Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM

change the EGR valve....