Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Default Puzzle

Last fall I replaced both front window motors in my '85 Econoline. About two weeks later the driver's side quit. This spring I tore it back down. I tested the motor I took out last fall and the one I put in and they both ran when hooked directly to a battery. So I checked, there is power to the switch. Power out of the switch. Power where the motor plugs in. So I put the old motor back in and it worked fine. Today, a month later, it quit again. There is still power everywhere. I am stumped. I don't want to tear it back down unless I can do a permanent fix. Changing one is a real pita.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:16 AM

Don't ya just love it when some smarty asks, did you check the grounds?

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM

Did that. Besides, I can run wires directly from the battery to the motor plug with it in the door and it won't run. Same as last time and when I take it out and hook it directly to the battery, it does run.??????????????

Old 07-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Does the motor use the door for a ground ? If so, it is possible the door loses the continuity to the rest of the vehicle. I would consider running a separate wire directly from the negative post to the motor in the door. It may be a pita, but if it solves the problem it will be worth it to know. You could always use a meter when the motor won't work connecting one lead to the motor case and the other lead to a known good ground. If the switch is energized and the motor won't work the meter will show battery voltage. You oughta be pretty good changing those motors by now !!!!

Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 PM

I will try anything to keep from pulling that motor again. Let you know how it turns out. The motor has two wires running to it, so I guess it's possible that it grounds to the door.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Probably should just set it on fire and roast some marshmellows.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Here ! Here !
Do I detect a sense of despair ?
All is not lost, if you do this right it could just be the last time you have to get in there, how about it?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Well, considering that is over 100 here, I probably won't burn it too soon, I have thought of knocking the glass out with a hammer. Too hot to drive it the way it is.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 PM

I've been told it's a lot hotter where I'm headed. Wonder if a hammer would help me any?

Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM

I tried grounding the door to the body. Didn't help. Would almost have to completely disassemble to hook a wire to the motor.