Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Rear Axle Bearing????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Default Rear Axle Bearing????

I have a 1997 E150 Conversion and I have read numerous postings on a variety of different forums. They all mention pushing inward on the pinion shaft to expose the C-Clip and remove it. Okay this is my problem......I cannot seem to push the shaft in enough to expose the clip enough to pop it out, does it just slide off, is there a special tool used to remove it???? Never the less, I cannot slide the shaft in enough to expose it. This project started because the bearing and seal have let go on the passenger side, could this have something to do with my little problem??? I also believe the rear end is a Dana.

Thank you for reading my post, any help is deeply appreciated
Joe

Last edited by jmedeiros40; 03-10-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM

There should be a steel block between the rear axles to keep them in the right position so the c clips don't come out. In order to remove the steel block you need to remove a special bolt that goes through the ring gear housing and the block, I believe it has a 5/16 or 8mm serrated head. Once you remove that bolt the block will drop out and now you can push in the axle on the side you want to remove and the c clip can be removed and the axle can now be removed too. Just be careful when reinstalling the axle to support it so it doesn't destroy the seal.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Thank you for you help. I have that removed already,after a night of no sleep(literally) wondering..... I have come to the Hypothesis that maybe the gears have came out of alignment which is keeping the drive shaft from sliding inward anymore than what it is. Does this sound like a possibility? Other than that....I can only think that the bearing in the shaft has become an obstruction,not allowing the shaft to slide inward anymore...Your thoughts.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM

You should be able to get it to move in enough to remove the clip.
So we are on the same page, the driveshaft is the tube that comes from the trans to the differential and connects to a flange that is splined to the pinion gear that drives the ring gear that moves the spider gears that are indexed to the axles. You are trying to remove an axle and bearing assy You may require a slide hammer to remove the axle and bearing. Some also have 4 nuts for a retainer that may need to be removed from the backing plate and axle housing.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

I know Hanky asked this, but, you 'did' remove the pinion gear shaft that runs through the differential carrier assembly. Correct?

Other than that, 'maybe' just a light tap inward on the face of the axle, but shouldn't be needed. Those axles are more of a floater, and the only thing that holds them from coming out is the C clip. With the axles in the splines on the side gears, their in alignment and should be able to push the axle inward to drop the clips...

Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

Yes the pinion shaft has been removed, would it make sense that since I have removed that, that the gears have moved a bit preventing the axle shaft from sliding. They have definitely moved since removal

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

With the pinion shaft removed, if you rotate the carrier assembly or turn an axle the small pinion gears can/will walk out of the carrier housing and alignment.

Old school was,, the small gears were called spyder gears, and the larger gears were side gears given their placement. So,, that being said, the side gears have a recessed shoulder cut into them that's just slightly larger than the C clip. The C clip on the axle pulls back in to the recessed area of the gear,, pinion shaft locks movement and keeps it from extending back out.

The groove on the axle nose has a oring that keeps tension on the clip and in place. Once the pinion shaft is removed, and being the axle is still inserted in the side gear splines, it is still aligned. Once the pinion shaft is removed, axle pushed inward to expose the clip, clip then removed, it should slide out..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 AM

Thanks again for your help....Now all I'm waiting for is the weather to get a little warmer, I have a messed up knee that doesn't like being on the ground.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Understand about the bad knee.

My knee has told me it doesn't like falling of my motorcycle anymore

Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Okay guys new problem, it seems all I had to do was (using my rubber mallet) hammer inward on the axle, 2 mins and it was out. Now my new problem.....other than the axle gear, how do I get the other 2 gears back in? Do I line them up and turn the axle to draw them in(thats my guess),thats pretty much how I got them out. Maybe I am tired, I worked 13 hrs just before playing around with this, and for the life of me I cannot get'em back in. Please don't fail me now, any help again deeeeeeply appreciated. By the way we love to ride in my house, my oldest daughter 15 rides a KLX 125, and my 9 yr old son is waiting for me to get him his new(used) KTM 50 pro series, and me I'll ride everything on 2 wheels. Currently waiting for wife to get a job,then I'm shopping! Maybe a used MV Augusta F4R32 1000, maybe??
Thanks again for reading my posts, and for all of your help
Tired and Frustrated

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Bearing????