Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Intermittant loss of all electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Default Intermittant loss of all electric

I have a 2002 E350 7.3l diesel and have an electrical problem that's driving me crazy. Bear with me as I describe the progression to try and pinpoint the problem. A couple weeks ago I turned the key to start the truck and no dash lights, no crank, nothing. I suspected a loose battery terminal. When I opened the door to get out....all the lights came on. This happened a few times. I suspected I might have a bad ignition switch but found I had no headlights, no power anywhere. After a few times of that happening opening the door no longer brought back the power, but closing the door did. This would happen perhaps every 10-20 times I tried to start the truck. LAst night that "remedy" stopped working. I thought I found a bad connection @ the ground wire where it goes into the battery terminal. I replaced the terminal and still no luck. Slammed the door a few times and now it looks like I have power again.

I've changed the terminal. I've checked the main harness that goes thru the firewall to the fuse box and that seems ok. I'm going to try and get it in the garage today and check the ground where it attaches to the block but it seems to me if that ground is not good enough to give me any lights, vibration from closing he door would not make it good enough to handle the amps of the starter. I'm focused on a bad ground, perhaps too focused and overlooking things.

ANy help and suggestions is appreciated. This is my main work truck and I really don;t want to leave it running when I do jobs.

Thanks

Rex

Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Default RE: Intermittant loss of all electric

I know this sounds off the wall but check anyway....Do you have any signs of water leaking? Check your floor carpet to see if there is moisture. It could be water got into the smart box and shorted out something.