Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

replacing key ignition keeping same key

Old 05-11-2016, 09:06 AM
Default replacing key ignition keeping same key

Hi, key ignition getting stuck lots of times on my 1996 E350, steering trick doesn't work, after playing around with it for a bit it's working again, cylinder looks worn out, is there a way to replace the cylinder and keep the same key? wouldn't really want 2 keys on my ring. thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:21 AM

A faulty ignition switch on your vehicle can cause several problems such as your car stalling and all lights going dark or the radio not turning on unless the key is wiggled from side to side. If you have gone through the troubleshooting process and have confirmed a faulty ignition switch, you will need to replace it or take the vehicle to a repair shop, assuming that it is drivable. If you choose to replace the ignition switch yourself, you will need to disassemble the steering column and disconnect the airbag (if applicable) to access it. This is not a major task but it does involve removing several small screws and parts from the different parts of the steering assembly. A system of coding wires and keeping screws in containers will be helpful.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM

Hi,
not the switch, it's just the cylinder, turn key to ACC position and pull it out after you find the small hole on bottom of the steering wheel to press in a tab on the cylinder.

Originally Posted by Alanah_Rae
A faulty ignition switch on your vehicle can cause several problems such as your car stalling and all lights going dark or the radio not turning on unless the key is wiggled from side to side. If you have gone through the troubleshooting process and have confirmed a faulty ignition switch, you will need to replace it or take the vehicle to a repair shop, assuming that it is drivable. If you choose to replace the ignition switch yourself, you will need to disassemble the steering column and disconnect the airbag (if applicable) to access it. This is not a major task but it does involve removing several small screws and parts from the different parts of the steering assembly. A system of coding wires and keeping screws in containers will be helpful.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Ford has a replacement ignition lock set kit that you can key to your current keys profile.

Its not overly complicated to do, and the kit includes all the tumbers, springs, directions, etc. Their available aftermarket as well..

Old 05-11-2016, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Ford has a replacement ignition lock set kit that you can key to your current keys profile.

Its not overly complicated to do, and the kit includes all the tumbers, springs, directions, etc. Their available aftermarket as well..

That is 100% correct. There are a few different versions but a good place to start would be part number 1L3Z-11582-A. We actually have that item available here: #1L3Z11582A: IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. Lock & cylinder. Lock cylinder.

-Kyle

Old 05-11-2016, 02:26 PM

i would also need 4 keyed alike door locks then, driver, passenger, side door and rear door. but I'm assuming thats alot of work to replace them

Originally Posted by LakelandFordParts
That is 100% correct. There are a few different versions but a good place to start would be part number 1L3Z-11582-A. We actually have that item available here: #1L3Z11582A: IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. Lock & cylinder. Lock cylinder.

-Kyle

Old 05-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spatterfree
i would also need 4 keyed alike door locks then, driver, passenger, side door and rear door. but I'm assuming thats alot of work to replace them

It would indeed be a substantial amount of work.

Unfortunately, there are many options regarding locks. A majority of the options have been deemed obsolete by Ford.

However, there are a few available and for the right part number to be provided a VIN is needed. (Post on here, PM through this forum, or email)

-Harold

Last edited by LakelandFordParts; 05-12-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM

ok, i dunno, unless i would add keyless entry and remote start, then i wouldn't need to change the door key

Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by spatterfree
ok, i dunno, unless i would add keyless entry and remote start, then i wouldn't need to change the door key
If I'm reading your first post correctly, you only have an issue with the ignition lock, correct?.

If the door locks operate with the OE key/s no problems, then you'd only need to change the ignition lock. What was common was the 'wing' portion of the lock would come loose and twist around a bit making the key hard to pull out unless is was correctly aligned when rotated to OFF.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 AM

I'm not sure what is causing this, but when i look at the key once it's inserted it's tilted at an angle, as if the lock was plain old worn out,
my concern was, in order to only carry one key around i have to replace the locks on the doors, otherwise i have to keep the old key for the doors and the new key for the ignition.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
If I'm reading your first post correctly, you only have an issue with the ignition lock, correct?.

If the door locks operate with the OE key/s no problems, then you'd only need to change the ignition lock. What was common was the 'wing' portion of the lock would come loose and twist around a bit making the key hard to pull out unless is was correctly aligned when rotated to OFF.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing key ignition keeping same key