Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Scratched Crankshaft Nose / Oil seal Housing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Default Scratched Crankshaft Nose / Oil seal Housing.

I've been at war with a severely stuck Crankshaft Front Oil Seal for about a week, and yesterday I finally got that thing out of there by using a thick hook/pick thing that was able to leverage against the timing cover. In the battles along the way, there were a couple scars made, mostly on the timing cover, but also on the housing, which can be seen in this photo.

Notice along the bottom rim of the housing, there is a little burr. Also, continuing on that underside lip, it's very slightly textured and rough.

Along the nose of the crankshaft, too, there is a scratch. If I run my finger over it, I can barely, just barely register a little high-point/ low point.

There are also a couple spots of rust on the thing with slightly different roughness.

As well as all of this, I just noticed the crankshaft bolt has a couple little dents on the threads.

I had wanted to replace the bolt when I put on the new damper, but I was told by some O'Reilly employees that the only way to do this would be to go through the dealer, because they didn't show the bolt as being buyable, and suggested I just re-use the old one. What do you guys suggest?