Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Temp spike

Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 PM

The dealer put the sensor in and I dont recall saying anything about the heater blend door. Actually I had gotten a code from the ECM of P1299 and the dealer told me it was the sensor then sold me the wrong one. When I dropped my van off to them they said they put the right one in ( which isnt working )

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 AM

Ahhhh, the plot thickens !
It will take a little doing, but we should eventually get it straightened out, I hope.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:47 AM

This is what we need to do,
I need every step of what the original problem was, who did what , when and then what happened after that. Don't leave anything out.

I was under the impression you were doing the work and now I find someone else was in there doing something also. This complicates things and in order to get to the bottom of the problem need to know as much as possible as to who did what and when. Can we do this? Obviously there is more than one problem and it's going to take some time and effort to go through every step to get the right parts in the right place. Who will be doing the work now, you or the dealer?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:47 AM
Default Temp spike

Okay let's start from the beginning… The temp gauge was working the way it should after driving in a little while the temperature we go up to hot and would turn the check engine light on I put a meter on it and he gave me a code of P1299 and then went to the dealer and asked about the code they told me that it was a heat sensor which I went to the parts department and purchase The part that they told me I needed I went home installed the part and that's when I started getting the erratic readings. At this point being frustrated I drop the van off at the Ford dealer to figure out what the problem was they told me that I installed the wrong part they inturn installed the correct heat sensor and thermostat and gave the van back to me in the same condition that I dropped it off to them saying they didn't know what was wrong with it. The next step I replaced the water pump and purged the system it seem to run okay until the morning once the van cool down I was back to the original problem all over again with the temperature gage still don't did not work right. When I say it ran okay the temperature didn't spike the needle still stayed on cold and I had heat. The gauge seems to be spiking more frequently with a little coolant spewing out of it when It spikes to hot. Sometimes it has heat sometimes it doesn't when it doesn't have heat is when it spikes to hot. I took the battery cables off like you suggested held them together for 15 seconds reinstalled it and then didn't correct the problem. NO MORE DEALER.... they charged me over 500.00 and gave the van back to me the same way I gave it to them.

Last edited by CCavan5309; 03-15-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 AM

The sensor you first removed, was it located on the head on the driver's side, and was the sensor you installed the exact same as what you removed? Do you still have the old sensor? Have you been able to check if they installed the same type sensor in the same place as the one you removed? If the guy at the dealer installed the same thing he took out it could mean you still have the wrong sensor in there. The sensor in the head is called a "CHT" cyl head temp sensor.
If you unplug the sensor in the head and turn the key on , what does the gauge show ? The sensor being unplugged could give you a check eng lite, but that is expected.
If you run the engine a few minutes for the coolant to warm then unplug the sensor what does the gauge read? Some say there is only one temp sensor others say there is an actual coolant temp sensor burried on the lower intake manifold behind the alternator. If it's there that should be the one to provide the signal for the gauge.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Default temp spiked

Both sensors have been replaced.I took the one that goes to the gauge and heated it up while plugged in and it started to work but when reinstalled it doesn't work

Last edited by CCavan5309; 03-15-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:05 AM

this is just a shot in the dark here but what is was the condition of wiring harness going to and from the sensors? if they are worn or cracked or anything like that then you'll get the same readings from the pcm. my father had a problem with one of his vehicles and it turned out to be that the wiring harness had burned the insulation off of wires and was shorting out one another and not allowing the engine to run like it should have because of the way the factory installed or ran the wiring harness too close to the exhaust manifold

Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 AM

From the research I have been able to do your vehicle should have only one temp sensor and that is the CHT. When the vehicle overheated, it caused that light to come on and store the 1299 code. There is more than one problem here. Without the necessary tools to do a worthwhile diagnosis and not having the vehicle to actually check out, any other suggestions I might offer would be shooting from the hip and possibly wasting your time and money. There is a good possibility of a wiring problem, a PCM problem , an engine overheating problem to name a few. Until I can get more familiar with that particular system I cannot in good conscience cause you to waste anymore money, sorry.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Default temp spike

Ok....Thank you

Old 03-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Hanky I'm not trying to step on your toes in any way shape or form so sorry if I did please do try and help the guy out with their vehicle. all I wanted to do is try and see if there was a way to help and make sure that what I said wasn't the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temp spike