Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > Ford Trucks, Ford Vans & Ford SUV's > Ford Econoline E Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 PM

Default Vibration at hwy speed

Hello all,

Im new to the forum. Hope someone can help.

I've got a 2001 Ford econoline conversion. 4.6 liter v8. I recently developed a vibration/shudder when I braked and changed out rotors, brake pads and a new caliper on the front left. This apparrantly fixed all the braking vibration, but now I have a vibration at hwy speed. When I hit 65 miles per hour, plus or minus a couple, I get a vibration I can feel in the steering wheel, my feet and seat. It acts a lot like a tire out of balance. I took it to a local tire shop who I've used successfully many times in the past and they balanced all four tires. I noticed a smoother ride at lower speeds right away, but the vibration at 65 continued and if anything is more noticable.

I'm at a loss and hope someone has a few ideas.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Brian, looks as if no one has anything to say except.....

Months ago my 2005 E350 6.0 began to vibrate. Not consistent and at certain speeds such as 68 to 72mph. At 40mph, feels like a U-joint. At 70mph, feels likea tire. Very noticeable. Most in the butt, very little in the hands.

I had the tires balanced and rotated twice. No change. I replaced the U-joints. No change. I had the driveshaft spun at Fleet-Pride. No change. I replaced the rear wheel bearings. No change.

Unfortunately something happened and a rear bearing burnt out. I settled for a used rear end. Sworn to be from and engine fire in 2007. On shelf ever since. No change. Replaced the slip yoke. Driveshaft with new slip yoke spun by Fleet_pride. No change. I recently went to a Ford dealer and had a "road force" balance on the tires/wheels. No change.

I have replaced evrything that moves. I am at a total loss.

How are you doing?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 AM

Do you know at what RPM the engine is going when this vibration takes place ?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Hanky, I am turning about 2100 at 70mph.

The vibration mode will change some as the running gear/tires heats up. The u-joint type vibration is fairly consistent even at 20-30mph but very subtle. The really annoying vibration begins to be noticed around 60mph. And it doesn't feel consistent.

At 70, the vibration feels like the rear wheel(s) are hitting a small rock at different intervals.

Someone has mentioned the tailshaft bearing in the transmission.

Any help would be appreciated for me and Brian.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Your vehicle needs wheel balancing or alignment. I think this is a minor one. When was the last time you had done wheels balancing or alignment.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:21 AM

Tags
2005, butt, driver, driveshaft, e350, econoline, engine, feel, feet, ford, shake, shakign, speed, tires, van, vibration