Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

What should I fix on this 1998 E350 Club Wagon?

Old 06-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Default What should I fix on this 1998 E350 Club Wagon?

Just bought a used ‘98 Ford E350 Club Wagon (80k miles) and need to do some work on it. Got 2 different mechanic’s opinions – one very tidy, upscale, “professional” garage, one more “casual,” but a good mechanic, just maybe not for real serious jobs.

I need help prioritizing what jobs to do first. I’m about to go on a ~6000-mile, 40-day trip with a lot of weight (about 1300 lbs, including people). Anything that is gonna cause big long-term problems or be a safety issue for now, I want to fix.

I’d really appreciate the help! Here are my questions:

1) Shocks -- The more “professional” mechanic said they’re okay, more “casual” one said they’re shot. What’s the danger of driving on rear shocks that are on the way out?

2) Brakes – more “pro” mechanic said they need to be totally done (rotors, bearings, pads), more “casual” one said they’re fine and just need a cleaning (so, opposite to #1). To my foot, they don’t feel too bad… is this something I will notice getting slowly worse over time, or are the brakes just gonna go out on me?

3) Trans fluid replacement… this thing is at 80k and I don’t think the fluid’s been changed. One mechanic said it’s a good time to totally drain and replace. The other said that if it’s never been changed, the trans may be used to running on thicker fluid, so if you replace it all, it could start slipping.

4) Serpentine belt – both guys said I need to replace it… but I have a ripoff concern… both quoted ~$200 labor to replace my serpentine belt and pulleys, but this says it should only be like $70? Change your own Serpentine belt - EASY - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

5) Spark plugs and air filter – one mechanic (more “casual” guy) said they’re shot, other (more “professional” guy) said they’re fine… again, something I’ll notice?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2013, 04:12 PM

You think you're confused ????

If you are going on a trip the last thing you want is vehicle problems, soooooo if finances permit,
Shocks don't cost that much to replace and will give you a better ride and handling should you get on some other than smooth roads.
Fords do not have squealers on the brake pads so you won't know if they are nearing replacement without actually looking and they give no warning when you hear and feel the grinding when you apply the brakes it's too late. I would have them done and while they are at it check the ball joints and universal joints.
I would have the trans fluid and filter changed and new motorcraft plugs installed.
If you don't know when the oil was changed last do that too. If for any reason you should need any service while away you will have all the records of what has been done and can better decide if someone far from home wants to sell you any of that work.
Not knowing your level of expertise, a serp belt can be fairly easy to replace ,providing you get the right one!!! If you get it from Ford, they will need your vin # and give you the correct one for your vehicle. Sounds crazy, but believe me it is the best way if you are going to change it.
80,000 is not a lot of miles for that vehicle, but having it done now is better than later on the road.
You just received a third opinion and a fourth won't hurt. All you need to do now is get a third shop to give you an estimate.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the advice -- just one followup. You said "I would have the trans fluid and filter changed" -- would you have them do a manual change, or a full flush (dialysis machine etc)?

Old 06-17-2013, 04:33 PM

This is my personal opinion from working on automatic transmissions.
The "stuff" that is supposedly sitting in the converter gets sent out to the filter anyway.
Flushing an automatic trans does nothing to get the "stuff" out of the clutch packs.
Therefore, I would consider a fluid and filter change done more frequently as a better alternative.