Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Where are my coils? Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 AM
Default Where are my coils? Please help...

Hello all...

I just recently bought a 2000 E-150 5.4L V8 8-passenger van. It misfires on three cylinders (1, 5, and 7) and I need to replace the coils and plugs. I looked under the hood and didn't see them, and I tore the center console out (where the engine is) and couldn't locate them. I don't know jack about this van (yet) and I was wondering if someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your time.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:04 AM

This is one of those times when it's easier to do the job than tell you how to do it.
The coils are in there, you can bet on that. Do you have any idea what they look like?
That would help you recognize them when you see them.
First you will need to blow out all the junk that has accumulated in the hole where the coil is placed over the spark plug. Each coil has two wires plugged onto it. You will need an 8mm socket to remove the bolt that holds the coil in place. Once the bolt is removed just lift the coil off of the spark plug and examine it carefully to see if you can determine if spark has been jumping to ground through the rubber boot. There are several suggestions for removing the spark plug without breaking the plug. Your vehicle may not be involved with that problem. You could loosen the plug about a half turn and spray one short shot of carb/choke cleaner into the hole and go have a cup of coffee while the liquid does it's thing .Then carefully remove the plug. Gap the replacement plug to the correct gap, put a LITTLE neverseize on the first one or two threads of the new plug and carefully get it started in the hole ,then tighten it to the correct torque and reinstall the new coil with a little dielectric grease in the boot, and install the retaining bolt for the coil. reconnect the plug on the coil and that one is done. The first one is the hardest unless you run into some complications. Do you still want to do this?