Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2007 Ford Edge having transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Exclamation 2007 Ford Edge having transmission issue

2007 ford egde having a transmission issue.

Every once in a while it would have a slightly hard shift, ususally when accelerating fast to merge into traffic. But earlier this week it completely stopped working after stopping at a stop sign. Aftrer turning off the car for a few seconds I turned it back on and it engaged very rough. After that it wouldn't shift out of first gear. The engine RPMs were high and my speed was low. It felt as if it was slipping. If I kept my momentum up I could drive about 20-30, but if I had to stop I would have to turn the car off and wait a bit until I could continue on.

The really odd thing was after sitting and waiting at a light about 2 blocks away from Aamco shop for a minute or so I turned the car back on and for those last two blocks the car acted normal. I was able to accelerate up to 50 and the car shifted normal. I pulled it into Aamco and later that day got a call that they couldn't get the car to move at all. They didn't find any codes, my fluid was at the proper level but smelled and looked burned (says the shop). They said they should do a rebuild. My question is what would cause these semi-intermittent issues where it would drive normal after sitting off for a while.

I have the transmission apart down to the OSS and TSS sensors. (There were several small metal shavings attached to the TSS sensor when i pulled it out.) How far should I tear it down. What else should I be looking for? I would rather find the cause and fix it myself or at least verify it needs a rebuild before spending 3Gs on it. Thanks in advance

Old 12-24-2014, 07:47 PM

Anytime we get metal shavings inside a trans, the best thing to do would be to remove it , get a factory remanufactured trans with all new parts and updated modifications installed. A rebuilt one may be cheaper, but not like a remnufactured trans.
Then before starting the vehicle, the cooler needs to be flushed, because it would not be good to circulate all that junk that was settling in the trans cooler.
It could be much worse,
Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Default worse?!

Thanks for the reply however I fail to see how it could be worse? New (rebuilt) transmission is the worst case scenario.

So what is all replaced when doing this type of job? The whole transmission just replaced? Solenoid, valve body? Could I get away with just replacing the torque converter first?

Old 12-25-2014, 05:43 AM

The problem is the shavings/metal particles.
Don't know how involved you want to get with it.
If the fluid has a burnt smell to it that means clutch facings and related parts are slipping and getting super hot and overheating the fluid. The clutch(s) that are slipping could be due to wear,low application pressure, sluggish or sticking control valves /solenoids in the valve body etc. If the pan was dropped to inspect those areas you could get a better idea of what happened or may be required to correct the problem. When metal particles get circulated throughout the trans , converter, cooler, valves and solenoids, the trans usually has to be completely disassembled and each part cleaned because if not absolutely clean the particles get stuck in close tolerance valves and cause them to stick,jam, hang up, resulting in many cases with additional damage. There are no temporary steps you can take with something like this.
To answer your question about just replacing the torque converter, the trans has to be removed to do that and with the trans removed you are half way there.
I put forth the worst case scenerio and with something like this a few opinions and estimates would be a good way to go.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Hey guys! I bought used 2007 Ford Edge recently. In my ford transmission jerks a lot. What could be cause for this? Anyone?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Unhappy 2007 Ford Edge only reverse worked

Sunday I dropped my youngest off at college 3 1/2 hrs. away from home. Stopped and gassed up for trip home. Car would only go in reverse! Backed into parking spot and turned car off. Waited a few minutes and tried again but still would only go in reverse. (tried D, N, L)
Called for a tow the next morning and had them take to nearest Ford dealership. Just got a call and dealership said it's working fine and couldn't find the problem. Dealership said tow guy said he drove it forward fine too.
Good news I don't have to pay for repairs; bad news I now have go pick it up and drive 3 1/2 hrs. home and hope nothing happens on the way.
Dealership thought maybe an air pocket? Two weeks earlier had the oil changed and transmission flushed. Any thoughts?

Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenLee55
2007 ford egde having a transmission issue.

Every once in a while it would have a slightly hard shift, ususally when accelerating fast to merge into traffic. But earlier this week it completely stopped working after stopping at a stop sign. Aftrer turning off the car for a few seconds I turned it back on and it engaged very rough. After that it wouldn't shift out of first gear. The engine RPMs were high and my speed was low. It felt as if it was slipping. If I kept my momentum up I could drive about 20-30, but if I had to stop I would have to turn the car off and wait a bit until I could continue on.

The really odd thing was after sitting and waiting at a light about 2 blocks away from Aamco shop for a minute or so I turned the car back on and for those last two blocks the car acted normal. I was able to accelerate up to 50 and the car shifted normal. I pulled it into Aamco and later that day got a call that they couldn't get the car to move at all. They didn't find any codes, my fluid was at the proper level but smelled and looked burned (says the shop). They said they should do a rebuild. My question is what would cause these semi-intermittent issues where it would drive normal after sitting off for a while.

I have the transmission apart down to the OSS and TSS sensors. (There were several small metal shavings attached to the TSS sensor when i pulled it out.) How far should I tear it down. What else should I be looking for? I would rather find the cause and fix it myself or at least verify it needs a rebuild before spending 3Gs on it. Thanks in advance
It's the input or output censors went out. Shouldn't of drove it at all once it stopped moving. I redid my censors and on the bottom of the pan was some kind of gunk no shop could tell me what this gunk was. The price was $980 for repla of censors