Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

2015 edge battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:59 AM
Default 2015 edge battery draining

I have a 2015 edge with less than 4,000 miles. After the vehicle sits for two days the battery is drained. The dealership has replaced the battery. The following week the battery drained once again and the vehicle was towed back to the dealer. At first I was told that there was no draw on the battery and all was well. I left the vehicle and after two days the battery was dead. The dealer is stumped and is contacting Ford for help.. Has anyone run into this issue and how was it solved? Thanks

Old 01-09-2016, 03:55 PM

There are many modules in your vehicle and after a period of time (sometimes an hour or more) after shutting the key off , most of the modules are supposed to go into sleep mode where they don't draw any current from the battery. That is supposed to prevent the battery from going dead. Things like your keys being close to the vehicle can prevent certain modules from going into sleep mode because it is trying to be ready to go at a moments notice . Sounds crazy, but that can contribute to the problem. There have been instances where the other family car/vehicle's keys activated the other vehicle's system constantly and caused the battery to die out. Do you take all your other keys with you when you leave the vehicle at the dealer, maybe that is why they cannot find anything wrong because you are taking the cause with you. The electronics in the vehicles today are great, but when they act up it can take some time to locate the problem.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM

Goggle 'parasitic drain' and you'll find lots of YouTube videos that will explain how to troubleshoot that very problem. T

Last edited by Trippp; 01-10-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:39 AM

Take a peek at this YOUTUBE video and then have your Dealer watch it also. It just may be your problem.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I will pass this on to the dealer. If they find the problem, I will update.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Default Same issue here

We are having the same issue with our 2015 Ford Edge. We have had it a little over a year now. It has been completely dead 5 times during that time frame. Like you, ours is always after 36-48 hours of non-use. This is our main vehicle so it is rare for it to go this long without use, which is probably why it has only happened the 5 times. Dealership blames it on us not getting the doors shut or not turning off interior lights etc. and at first, I blamed the kids for not getting a door shut but there have been times when it happened after the kids were not even in the car. We also have issue with the auto lift and close on the back hatch not working intermittently either, but of course it always works just fine when we take it to be looked at.

Did you ever find a resolution to your problem?

Old 07-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Default It my back hatch draining my battery

Originally Posted by hgraber
We are having the same issue with our 2015 Ford Edge. We have had it a little over a year now. It has been completely dead 5 times during that time frame. Like you, ours is always after 36-48 hours of non-use. This is our main vehicle so it is rare for it to go this long without use, which is probably why it has only happened the 5 times. Dealership blames it on us not getting the doors shut or not turning off interior lights etc. and at first, I blamed the kids for not getting a door shut but there have been times when it happened after the kids were not even in the car. We also have issue with the auto lift and close on the back hatch not working intermittently either, but of course it always works just fine when we take it to be looked at.

Did you ever find a resolution to your problem?
I'm having the same problems as you. My back hatch stops working and I disable the lift but when I enable it the battery goes dead if the car sits for a couple of day.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:38 PM

Finally, just before the warranty ran out, the back hatch stopped working completely. The dealership had to fix that problem under warranty and since the hatch has been fixed, I have not had any battery issues.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 PM

Great...my isn't under warrenty but sure its the back hatch that is draining the problem..Taking it in tomorrow

Old 02-20-2021, 11:01 AM

Our 2015 MKZ had several battery drain episodes, even after the 3yo battery was replaced with a new one.

The first problem I found was someone had mangled the glove box damper, probably when changing the cabin air filter. A broken damper (and integral switch) allows the glove box lamp to stay on. That fix worked for awhile until the following winter when the car was driven less.

Then I found a YouTube video explaining how the power trunk lid has a module that loses communication intermittently. It drains the battery when trying to communicate I suppose. The cure was a reflash of the power trunk module in November 2020. It's winter again and I noticed our trickle charger topped off the battery very quickly compared to the prior year.

Quick Reply: 2015 edge battery draining