Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Edge Transmission Problems

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by map03trp06
I am SO happy I found this forum, I'd only be happier if I didn't need the outlet because my car ran well! I have a 2008, with about 15k miles on it. I noticed at about 4k miles, there was a lot of strange hesitations, and when I was pulling into the garage or a parking space slowing from a steady pace, it was almost like I'd get a little kick in the rear. I thought maybe it was because I hadn't had an oil change yet, so I went ahead and had it Jiffy Lubed (leased vehicle, dealer said they'd pay for the first one at 7,500 miles, but i'm still old school, trained under the 3k way of thinking). I noticed some improvement (or more like didn't notice the strangness still happening. Over time, it slowly returned, each time slightly improving after an oil change. Well, a couple of months ago, my father noticed my car leaking oil of some sort - turned out to be transmission fluid. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the transmission cooler, and said everything else was fine - regardless of the other things I mentioned. The very next week, I felt that major bump in the rump of my car, and little to no responsiveness on the highway, so I took it straight to the dealer. They kept it for a day and said they didn't experience it and to "keep a diary" to see if there are any trends, with AC on, in the rain etc. but these many little things happen so often and without trend, I feel like I'm loosing my mind imagining these things. What really upsets me is that I traded in my 7 year old sedan because of my 2 small children, I was afraid of being stranded with them and insisted on getting something new; but I still have that fear. Everything else about the car I love, and we are a Ford family. Before I got too pregnant to get my little one in and out of the car, I was driving our Expedition (and still love it), but my husband kept it because the sedan was just easier on the back with a large, heavy infant and toddler. Before then we had an Explorer (V6) and loved it, too. I also have a lot of experience with a manual transmission (prefer them actually) and just know my cars - somethings not right! So much so that tonight I decided to look it up, if nothing else, I'm happy to find others experiencing the same thing I am, but wish there was a better way to get the dealership to listen. I understand that there are hard times these days, but if that means you can't stand behind your existing contracts and take care of your existing customers, then let me out of my lease or trade for something else.
UPDATE - I actually stalled crawling through a parking garage, stopped put the car in reverse and it stalled! As soon as it happened I remember it happened once before early on.... I also thought about a way to explain it to the dealer, I feel like I'm driving against cruise control....

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Default Transmission problems

I have been having problems with my 2007 Ford edge for 6mo now, it started when we were on vacation and spent most of it at the ford dealer for them to say they cannot find anything and every time I have taken it to a ford dealer they cannot find anything wrong. My daughter plays travel ball and every time we go somewhere it acts up and I am scared that when I am driving down the interstate that I’m going to get in an accident. The first time it happen I though someone hit me!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Default Also, tranny problems

I have 2008 Ford Edge with 62,000 miles, mostly highway. In town yesterday I, too, got the experience of starting off with a little jerk, like being rear-ended. It happened a couple of times, but nothing after that. I drove it to the Ford dealership where I bought the car, told them the problem and they had a young transmission mechanic ride with me to see if the problem was replicable-it wasn't. We talked about transmission service. He suggested I bring it in for something called blowing out the transmission, a service that takes about 90 minutes. He said something about valves sticking and this would help. Well, I have not done any maintenance to the transmission. and I suppose I will do that, but, after reading other posts, I am obviously concerned that this is going to be a problem for me into the future.The mechanic's observation that if it was a real problem the service light would go on was not too assuring!

Last edited by robertk582; 06-10-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 06-14-2009, 06:46 AM

What is your opiunion of the Edge's transmission issues people our complaining about on the Ford Forum? Thinking about a New Edge to replace my wife's 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee however I am having second thought's.

billfish16
2004 F-150

Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Default Same problem!!

I have had the same issues as everyone else on this thread! Except, I took my 07 edge into the dealer and they changed out the Throttle body, air flow sensor, and some injector. Well that was the issue with the car stalling and then after getting that replaced the car doesn't stall anymore (1 week later) then the car started to get the "rear-ended" feeling. So now we are worried about having the tranny replaced.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Default 2007 Ford Edge Transmission Problems - READ THIS

I couldn't believe all the posts about the Edge transmission problems. I bought my car 10/10/08, and upon leaving my driveway on the 11th, the car made such a clunk noise I thought we ran over something in the road. Needless to say, it has happened over and over - I brought it back to our dealer and they could never "replicate" the noise....so after about 6 months of this clunking (about 1-4 times a week), I finally called the owner of our dealership who ordered a special recording device that hooks from your transmission and into your car....so when that clunk think happens, you push a button and it records it (the previous 30 seconds plus the next 30 seconds)...that way you can't miss the EVENT. Since then, My dealership had the car and replaced something in the transmission...that didn't work...had to rehook the recording device back up...now Ford has told them to take the transmission right out (What they are doing, I have no idea). Anyway, I hope this helps others in what they can tell their dealerships to do if they haven't tried this. I don't know what will happen next....actually, I want nothing more than Ford to buy this car back..........I have not had this car working right since the day I bought it.......and it's not fair!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Default scary sound. website to find a dealer.

here's a website i found helpful to find a dealer in my area: http://scforddealers.com/map.aspx

i have a 2010 edge and been lucky so far with no noise. i hope that doesn't happen to me! hopefully people can get this fixed and maybe a ford dealer will be more knowledgeable.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Default 2008 Ford Edge a joke. Transmission is bad. Demand Buy Back

We bought a 2008 Ford Edge in December 2007. The day we checked the car out, I told the sales rep that it had transmission issue. We were sitting in the car with the car running and it was clunking in idle. The salesman swore up and down that it was just the typical Ford clunk and nothing was wrong with the car. We had the car checked out just to make sure and they said the same thing.

The first week of ownership, we smelled a burning smell coming from the transmission. Took the car in to be checked and they couldn't find anything wrong. We also complained about it shifting hard between gears but they swore nothing was wrong.

We drove the car for a while and again kept having troubles with the shifting but each time we took it in, they couldn't verify the problem.

In July of 2009, we were driving down the interstate and got off at an exit to get gas. As we were driving off the exit, the car stopped responding to the gas pedal. We pressed on the gas but nothing happened and we had to coast into the gas station. Odometer error popped up as we tried to drive the car. We parked it, turned it off, then restarted it and the car started working again.

The next day we took it to the dealership and they told us there was a service bulletin for the transmission and that it needed a software update. They updated the computer and gave it back to us.

In August 2009, we got in the car to go somewhere and the car would not respond to the gas pedal. We shifted the car into the various gears and each time there was a very LOUD grinding clunk that sounded really bad. We got odometer reading error and the service engine check light. Since it was the weekend, we had to wait til Monday to have the car TOWED to the dealership.

The dealership kept the car for over a week and I am going to go pick it up today. They said there was another service bulletin on the transmission and that it needed a new speed sensor. I highly doubt that this is what is causing the issue and if the car has this issue ONE more time then we will be demanding Ford to Buy Back our 2008 Ford Edge. If they refuse, then we will be going to the Better Business Bureau/arbitration and they WILL buy back our vehicle.

If anyone else is having troubles with their new Ford Edge, then I suggest you keep documentation. After the 3rd time in for a transmission fix, they have to buy back the vehicle especially if it needs a new transmission. If you can't get them to buy back the vehicle, then I suggest you go to the Better Business Bureau because you will have better luck there.

Ford doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction. They are sticking us with a vehicle which they KNOW has transmission issues and they should be forced to buy back all the vehicles with bad transmissions that they knowingly sold us.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM

This is amazing to me...all the trouble with the transmissions and the Ford dealerships won't do anything about it. I spoke with an attorney friend who told me that "as a last resort" and if you don't get anyplace with your dealership, you should report it to the Department of Motor Vehicles. I was surprised by that response, but I was told that they have a special investigation department that handles complaints about dealerships and they are super strict and follow up seriously. Your dealership, if wrongful, can be fined and have their license suspended. I have not had to take it to that extreme yet, the owner of our dealership "seems" to be handling this for us....however, this has been going on since last October and I am still dealing with a broken transmission. I will let you all know when it is resolved...and what MY dealership did.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:59 PM

I just bought a 2008 Certified Used Edge with a full bumper to bumper warranty left on it. I, like many Edge owners, have been having the transmission slip and violently engage issue. The dealership (Greenway Ford Orland) will not do anything about it because they can't replicate the problem. I've taken the vehicle there 3 times and have called Ford 2 times. Nobody will do anything. I have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and PLEASE do so also:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Complaint.cfm

We need to raise awareness of this issue. I am going to my local media with this. I am encouraging you to please at least file at the website above and do more if you can.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edge Transmission Problems