Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Ford Edge 3.5 litre V6 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Default Ford Edge 3.5 litre V6 Water Pump

I own a 2008 Edge SE that I take very good care of. I have kept up on all services needed on this car. I recently discovered an issue with my car. I noticed a couple drops under my car which sparked a concern. I took it to the Ford service center the next day. They looked it over and said my water pump is leaking. To their surprise they discover the water pump is internal and driven by the timing chain. They gave me an estimate of $4000.00 to repair. Of course its all labor cost. They also tell me that they needed to order the pump which wouldn't be in till later that week. I told them I need the car for the week, they said it was ok but to check the temp gauge and water level. So I spent the week getting other estimates and looking to trade the car. By the end of the week I drive to a dealership looking at a newer edge. They test drive mine and come back saying my check engine light came on and the car is running bad. I'm at a total shock cause I had no running issues at all, no warning signs of troubles other than a couple drops. So I find out that since the pump is internal that the antifreeze is leaking inside the engine and mixing with the oil. So one week after discovery of a leak and bad water pump, I end up with a locked up engine. So now I must buy a new engine. Now this is costing me at least $7000.00. Of course I still owe on the car and the dealership says its worth nothing to them. I'm stuck with this repair. The repair center that is installing the new engine tells me that once the pump started leaking my engine was already failing. They tell me it wasn't my fault and nothing could have prevented it. They say its a poor design. So heads up.

Last edited by 2008_SE_Edge; 12-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:14 AM

There was a casting flaw on the 07-08 where the oil and coolant will mix and the bottle will show this. What it sounds like on yours is the water pump started leaking but they made the weep hole go through a channel in the block and come out above the alt not leak into the front cover oil pan area. Either way most time if the customer contacts ford on a major failure like that they will do cost sharing with the dealer and cust so your bill will be be cut in a 1/3.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:31 PM

I did a bunch of these under warranty, which paid 12.1 hours to do. They are under the front cover, driven off the timing chain.
I found it easier to do this job by dropping the cradle on jackstands and then it was just a "quick" disasemble and replace. It also had the benefit of replacing the proper gasketry and getting the front cover resealed with the RTV.
I saw a bunch of earlier ones do this, the later ones seemed to hold up better.
One other thing: there was a TSB that stated "a few drops" of coolant was "normal". However, when you start seeing it drip off the A/C compressor, it was time to do it.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:53 AM

That's a great video and really helpful. Thanks for sharing this information with us K_Redmond.

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-26-2016 at 06:57 PM.