Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Shaking while braking at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Default Shaking while braking at high speeds

So my ford has been shaking while I apply the brakes at high speeds, it makes my streeling wheel shake like crazy!!! I just got my brakes done in May!!! What the heck is going on??

Old 07-11-2014, 06:20 AM

Year, model and mileage?

"I just got my brakes done in May"

What was done?

You could have a warped rotor(s), or worn suspension parts.

Any of these have the potential to cause steering wheel shimmy and vibration under braking include worn shocks, struts and suspension bushings. If the front shocks are worn beyond their useful life, they may oscillate excessively under braking, causing the wheel to vibrate and shimmy. Worn suspension bushings, particularly the control arm bushings, can also cause the shaking during deceleration. Worn wheel bearings, which support the wheel on the hub, also cause shaking under braking.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM

The pads

Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 PM

I would suspect either warped rotors or not having full surface contact between the new pads and the old rotors. Most rotors today start too thin to get a good resurfacing, so you would be better off getting new rotors. Thin rotors heat up faster and are more prone to heat warpage.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 AM

Hey guys! i too have the same vibration problem. My Ford Edge is not vibrating when apply brakes at high speed. But it vibrates when going over 60mph. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in Advance

Old 11-10-2014, 03:38 AM

The usual procedure when investigating a problem like this is to do a good visual inspection for any worn or loose parts. The vehicle will need to be raised off the ground to take the weight off certain parts that could be loose or worn and would not appear loose with the full weight on them.
If a thorough inspection reveals no worn or loose parts then wheel balance is checked. That would also show things like a possible bent wheel rim.
There are problems that could originate from the rear of the vehicle and be transmitted to the other parts or front. Would suggest to try those steps first.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:08 PM

It could be worn shocks or something as simple as a lost wheel weight. What is your year and mileage of vehicle? Any tire work/rotation lately?