Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Sunroof side Shields -

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Default Sunroof side Shields -

On my 2012 Ford Edge I keep having problems with the sunroof side shields (accordian type rubber shields). They don't want to stay in place and I keep having to slide them forward and press them back onto the tracks.

Anyone else having this problem? Dealership said I should buy new ones - but at $115 each that's a pretty convenient fix for them - and not something I see value in purchasing.

I've thought of putting gorilla glue (or something like that) on them to make them stay in place - but worry that won't be a great plan.

Any ideas?

ALSO - my sunroof motor is slow when it's closing - is yours really slow too?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Not sure on shield and tracks? Have a pic?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks Hayapower. It's currently pouring rain so i don't want to go to the parking lot and open the sunroof - I found a stock photo online and made an arrow pointing to it. Hopefully this helps to explain better

Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Not familiar with how they attach, but if they are a tension hold on a rail, we've used 3M brand products for years with door, trunk seals and many kinds of trim types. Sticks to just about any surface, good stuff and a great hold. It's 3M part number 8008 in Black.

It can be removed when dry or partially, or after many years of hold with an enamel reducer etc. Important to make sure it doesn't get on interior materials.. If the seal or trim is installed over a pinch rail, not meant to move and a flexible bond, it should hold as long as there isn't any other type of adhesive under it..

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof side Shields --image.jpeg  
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM

This exact same thing happens to my 2014 edge. Thankfully I have caught it in time so it doesn't come completely off. I bought the car used in January and it was missing one. So they replaced it for free with a brand new one, and it still does it! So don't think buying a new one will help.

Also I sprayed some wd40 along the tracks and has been closing much faster!

Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Not familiar with how they attach, but if they are a tension hold on a rail, we've used 3M brand products for years with door, trunk seals and many kinds of trim types. Sticks to just about any surface, good stuff and a great hold. It's 3M part number 8008 in Black.

It can be removed when dry or partially, or after many years of hold with an enamel reducer etc. Important to make sure it doesn't get on interior materials.. If the seal or trim is installed over a pinch rail, not meant to move and a flexible bond, it should hold as long as there isn't any other type of adhesive under it..

Great Post haya !!

Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Quick update: I ended up putting a dab of gorilla glue in 4 places along the rails to keep them in place and now it's been holding for 2 months with zero problems. I found that gorilla glue works beautifully on the metal tracks because it'll peel off if I need to take it off, but it provides just enough stick that the rubber will adhere to it without causing damage. So far so good. Too bad that I had to resort to modifying this way, but it's a poorly designed system so I have to adapt.

I miss read where Spena415 sprayed WD40 on the tracks and it closes much faster - I'll do that next because it still closes much too slow for my taste - I'm worried it is putting too much of a strain on the motor.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM

Do not use WD-40 as it is not a lube. But some silicone and use that. My wife's 2010 does the exact same thing I haven't tried to glue the seals on but I will.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by f150bft
Do not use WD-40 as it is not a lube. But some silicone and use that. My wife's 2010 does the exact same thing I haven't tried to glue the seals on but I will.
I didn't use Wd-40 as planned - but used Dielectric grease (silicone) on the tracks of the sunroof, after cleaning them thoroughly while the sunroof was off. Originally the sunroof would close in 23-24 seconds (VERY slowly) and now it closes in 7-8 seconds.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Default Same problem

Have a 2013 Edge with the same problem. Took it to a dealer for an extended warranty fix and was told it wasn't covered as it was "trim" not a mechanical problem. Dealer service took off the shields as they were damaged and said not to use the sunroof until repaired at almost $600. Working with Ford corporate for a reasonable solution to this. After all these posts, you'd think Ford would provide a fix instead of pissing off customers.

Quick Reply: Sunroof side Shields -