Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

05 ESCAPE GAS PEDAL STICKING

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Default Sticking Gas Pedal or Rough Idle

Originally Posted by clutchnshift
2006 Ford Escape XLS 2.3L I4
-----------------------------

At ~55,000 miles, the vehicle seemed to lag at times when the accelerator was stepped on. Later, at 85,000 miles, there was a definite "sticking" of the accelerator pedal, which led to power loss and abrupt power increase when the pedal would respond.

Eventually, it was deduced that the Throttle Body was sticking at the Butterfly Valve. When the accelerator pedal was stepped on (with the engine off), there would be creaking sounds (like a rusty hinge) coming from the throttle body itself.

The vehicle would usually have this sticking problem when it had been sitting for several hours, but then would smooth out when operating for about 15 minutes.

Anyway, the Throttle Body was removed, cleaned, reinstalled, then the vehicle was road tested. Not only did the sticky pedal feel go away, the accelerator pedal provided refreshingly smooth operation, near instantaneous results to the engine, AND produced a significant power gain when accelerating. The pedal would snap back quick like new.

The can of Throttle Body cleaner cost me < $5 US and about an hour of my time (including road testing). The Butterfly Valve had been collecting fine grime with slight coking around the edge of the valve, all due to normal wear and tear. Clean your Throttle Body every ~20,000 miles. I recommend you remove it to clean it, as opposed to spraying it down while still installed on the engine.

To remove it you will need:
1) Flat-head screwdriver.......................to loosen two hose clamps.
2) ¼"-drive ratchet with a 3" extension...to easily remove the bolts.
3) #8 metric shallow socket...................to grip the 5 bolts.
4) Large Pliers or small Channel Locks......to pop off the throttle cable.
5) Can of Throttle Body Cleaner..............to clean the Throttle Body.
6) Several shop rags.............................to wipe the grime off T/B.
7) Ventilation....................................... to not inhale the T/B cleaner.
8) About 60 minutes..............................to remove, clean & reinstall.
9) A camera.........................................to take before and after pics!

2006 Ford Escape XLS - Throttle Body & IAC Valve
YouTube - 2006 Ford Escape XLS - Throttle Body & IAC Valve