Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

05 escape wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Default 05 escape wont turn over

My girlfriend has an 05 escape with the 3.0 v6. The other day she got in it to leave work and it wouldn't start. I looked a little online and found a post that said it probably was the relay, so I crossed it with a paper clip and it started up. So I drove it home and the next day I ordered a relay. I got it and put it in and it still won't do anything, wont turn ovee when you turn the key or anything. I noticed when it started that it came up and said service brakes and service 4x4, and the abs light is on. Does that have to do with not having the relay plugged in? Because they were never on before... Earlier I tried jumping it with the paperclip again and it wont even start now...

I have no idea where to start now. It has around 160k miles on it, but never had an issue starting. It does have remote start, but was not factory. A previous owner installed it, but it always worked fine. Im kinda wondering if that may be the issue.

Any advice, tips, ideas of what to check, would be greatly appreciated..

Old 12-12-2015, 04:25 AM

One of the first things techs will do is to remove the remote start from the system and see if that is producing the problem. It does not need to be removed physically just disconnected. It is worth trying it. Also, try the other coded key.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:17 PM

Its a JBS TECHNOLOGIES remote start. Would it be as simple as just unplugging it? Im not sure where all the wires run to. Also is there a chip in the keys because I might be able to get another made. It only came with 1 key when she bought it.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 PM

Well I popped open one of the boxes under the dash and it had another key in it..

Old 12-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Well I figured out the issue. The ignition switch is worn out and when you turn the key you have to push it in to start. Cant just turn it like normal.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Okay so apparently that wasnt the problem. It doesnt make any sense. I literally started it and shut it off like 5 times. Then we started it and drove it up and down the road. Now it wont start again, wint even turn over when I turn the key. And the ABS light is back on again.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:30 PM

There is a communication network that consists of several modules. When there is a problem with any one of the modules the system doesn't work properly and as far as the electronics are concerned =among other possibilities , a no start condition. What we do sometimes in a case like this is to remove the module from the system and if communication is allowed the vehicle will start. If the ABS lite is on it may be pointing to a problem with the ABS module. The best way to confirm this is with a quality scan tool or unplug the module from the system. Not always that easy to do.