Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2003 Escape cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:04 PM
Default 2003 Escape cruise control

I posted this in the new member area which was in error. I am re-posting it here. I am new to this forum and am very much appreciative of any help that can be provided.
I have a 2003 Ford Escape upon which the cruise control is not working. The steering wheel switches do nothing. I did the push button diagnostic on the steering wheel and it indicated that the brake pedal de-activation switch was faulty. However, I used a paper clip to jumper the switch connector and it did nothing (cruise control still would not come on). Put a tester on the deactivation switch itself and it is working. I then tested the deactivation switch connector with my voltmeter (with ignition switch both on and off) and there is no power to the switch. Does this pretty much indicate that the amp on the servo is bad? I can pick up a used one for about $30 but hoped someone might point me to a simpler fix or something I am over-looking.

By the way, I also used the CDC contact cleaner on the steering wheel switches, blasted the crap out of it and worked the switches repeatedly with no effect. It was raining outside and I did this with the windows rolled up and doors closed....I don't recommend this since I was pretty woozy afterwards and I think I saw a unicorn

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 PM

If you have a copy of the owner's manual you can find which fuse and relay operate the cruise control in the fuse section. If you don't have the manual you can get the info at Fordfleet.com. All you need to do is enter the info for your particular vehicle and it comes right up for you to copy or check.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Default 2003 Ford escape cruise control

Originally Posted by hanky
If you have a copy of the owner's manual you can find which fuse and relay operate the cruise control in the fuse section. If you don't have the manual you can get the info at Fordfleet.com. All you need to do is enter the info for your particular vehicle and it comes right up for you to copy or check.

Thanks for the reply! I checked the fuses and none were blown. There was no indication of a relay for the cruise control. I wish it could have been that easy.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by hanky

My mistake! I am getting 1.5 volts to the brake pedal deactivation switch after all. My brake lights are working, my horn works, no check engine lights on, throwing no codes, no burned fuses. The steering wheel switches seem to be working because I can run through the diagnostic test and I still get three flashes of the cruise control light indicating that there is problem with the deactivation switch. The switch is fine however. Could it be the amplifier on the servo? Or are there other suggestions?