Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2004 Escape XLT V6 trouble starting when damp or cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Default 2004 Escape XLT V6 trouble starting when damp or cold

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I am a new Ford owner. I bought a used 2004 Escape XLT 4WD V6 about 3 months ago and had to make a few relatively minor repairs (replace both rear shocks, all the spark plugs and one ignition coil all of which I did myself). It was running great until about 5 weeks ago when I started having very random trouble with it not wanting to start under specific conditions. It only occurs if it is very damp (been raining for a while) or is cold (below 32ish degrees) and also it only occurs when I have driven the vehicle to a place then it sits for an hour or 2 then I go to leave and the starting issue happens.

It has a strong cranking sound, but just won't start unless I push the gas pedal all the way to floor then it will start and idle fine. I did some web searches and thought it could be the IAC valve, but when I looked at mine, the inside was very clean and the only wearing was on the outside where it was rusty. I'm not 100% sure it is the IAC, any suggestions or further diagnostics I could do myself at a reasonable price? Thanks.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM

From what you describe it does sound like it may be pouring fuel into the cyls which could be caused by a defective throttle position sensor. Placing the throttle all the way to the floor puts the fuel system in clear flood mode. Is the check engine lite coming on?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 AM

My apologies, I forgot to mention about the check engine light. It is not on and does not come on when the issue occurs. Just to make sure right after the issue occurs, I run a check for any codes and it shows up all clear no issues.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM

This is what I would try.
Get a spray bottle with just plain water and spray a small section at a time and each time try to start the engine. Each time it starts eliminates that part of the engine. If no area causes the no start condition , mist the wiring areas , small areas like plugs to components and see if you can create the problem. Sometimes we get lucky and find it right away other times it takes patience and perseverance .
Another thing you can try is to unplug all components and plug them back in . Sometimes a poor connection opens when the contacts contract due to lower temps.

Last edited by hanky; 02-25-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Check to see when your fuel filter was replaced last. If it is a new one from what your saying sounds like a fuel pump issue, due to the fact when you drive it and let it sit for a few hours to let it HOT SOAK, may be your fuel pump failing. i know a aftermarket scan tool that only scans for HARD CODES wont pull it up but a FORD SCANNER OR HIGH END SCANNER will show PENDING CODES that def. may help you out.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 AM

Hanky, I will give a try to what you said as soon as I get a little bit of spare time, hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow.

FordLifeSaver, I personally replaced the fuel filter with a Ford (motorcraft) replacement about a month and a half ago. I unfortunately do not have access to nor the money to buy a Ford or high end scanner. Is there any other way to diagnose if the fuel pump is going bad. I have the workshop manual for the 2004 Escape, but it didn't have anything on diagnosing the fuel pump itself.

Also, more information if it helps any: I drove to class (about a 15 minute drive) this morning and turned off the engine at 8:40AM. When I left class and got in my Escape at 10:30AM I turned the key and it turned over for what I call 4-5 "cycles" if you know the sound I am talking about then started albeit roughly. It has not rained yet (although it is now) and it was about 36-37 degrees outside.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM

Sorry for sounding pushy, but Autozone is having a 20% off sale store wide that ends today. If it is indeed the fuel pump this discount would be awesome because ti is $199.99 for a new one. Is there any way I could quickly diagnose the issue to the fuel pump without having to buy on the expensive $350-500 scanners?

Note: I have not tried Hanky's suggestion, but I will be trying it this afternoon.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

So,, during the times it doesn't start do you hear the fuel pump 'run' cycling the key Off/On?

Fuel pump failures on higher mileage trucks is pretty common, but many a good pump has been replaced without check for pump run/pressure/volume prior to a replacement. If the pump doesn't run (at those low temps or after a soak) and can be failure duplicated, you might ad a test lead/12v to the inertia switch and check for pump run. That way anything before the pump is generally removed from the diagnosis.

Installing a test gauge (if you have one) can monitor and verify all of the above as well, and can usually capture a failing pump before replacing.

You never mentioned any excessive fuel smoke or ? after it finally starts.. None?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM

I do hear the fuel pump 'run'. I checked that as soon as the fuel pump was mentioned. Also, there is no smoke or anything like that after it starts. Only thing is a strong fuel smell for about 2-3 minutes then it goes away.

I also tried Hanky's suggestions and found nothing out of the ordinary and it started regardless of being sprayed. I let it sit for about 45 minutes before I tried that also. The issue seems to be very intermittent. The only time it does it consistently is with this series of events:

1. I leave and make the 10-15 minute drive to campus.
2. I park and go to class for about an hour and 10 minutes almost exactly every Tuesday and Thursday.
3. I go back to my vehicle and it exhibits the mentioned issues.

If it sits any less than 45-60 minutes the issue occurs, but not as bad (starts quicker and doesn't take multiple tries). any longer and it almost doesn't occur at all (doesn't occur after sitting for 3-4 hours). It also does not occur immediately after parking. I doubt this has anything to do with it, but if it matters I live about 1004ft ASL in my area which is about 200-300 ft higher than the surrounding counties.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM

When you stop to get fuel, do you fill it to the top or do you stop when the nozzle shuts off ?

Quick Reply: 2004 Escape XLT V6 trouble starting when damp or cold