Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2005 Escape ABS Indicator Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Default 2005 Escape ABS Indicator Light Stays On

Hello,

I had my tires rotated about a month and a half ago and then just two weeks ago I had them balanced because the service station never balanced them when they were rotated. Now, ever since I have had them balanced, my ABS indicator light has been on, at first intermittently, and now much longer. It ususally comes on in the driveway when I start the car, stays on when I back out, then turns off, only to come back on again on the expressway...then some days its off....but lately its been staying on. Does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong. I don't have a lot of money, so I hope this isn't a serious problem. I have no idea what to do. Please help!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Default RE: 2005 Escape ABS Indicator Light Stays On

I would start by carefully inspecting the ABS tone rings on the front axles. They are known to get rust built up behind them and the ring will split.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Well, its been a long time since I posted here, I haven't been on the net this long. The ABS light is still intermittent. I've had two differnt repair shops look at it three times...my brakes are fine, nothing out of place...they said the ABS gear stuff looks fine. MyABS wire was hanging down on the driver side rear wheel, but they put it back up and there was not change. I am thinking it might be either the ABS sensor or the vehicle speed sensor. Am I close? Any ideas?????

Old 08-10-2008, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mgan9311
I am thinking it might be either the ABS sensor or the vehicle speed sensor. Am I close? Any ideas?????
i feel, this is not related with vehicle speed sensor. if your brakes are fine, ask for the dealer to fix / reset your ABS system.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

It is now September 2011, the ABS light is still intermittent. Today I finally went to Auto Zone and had them check the codes for free. There are NO codes. None whatsoever. They referred me to Advance Auto Parts to turn off the ABS light for free.

I went to Advance Auto Parts. Of course, when I pulled into the parking lot, the ABS light went off. Story of my life since 2007. The guy I spoke to said to have a mechanic test the sensors with a labscope. He also said that it could be a computer short somewhere. I am more inclined to think it is the "tone rings".

I've been reading that this ABS problem is exteremly common.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM

mgan9311 - I just went through this same issue and your post frightened me a bit. I didn't think I'd find the problem. I had just put new tires and brake pads on in Oct. My ABS light came on in late Dec. A week later it started kicking on the ABS on dry pavement. I took it back to the shop that did the tires and brakes. The code said a bad sensor. The tech looked at it found a cracked tone ring causing the sensor to know something was wrong and kicking on the ABS. The dealership was actually the cheapest of 3 places that I called. I replaced the tone ring for about $250 and the light is off and the ABS is no longer coming on. Good luck! Hope this fixes your problem, too! I hear it's a bad design that Ford has yet to correct.