Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2006 Escape 4WD Ltd. Need Aftermarket Diagnostic Tool Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Default 2006 Escape 4WD Ltd. Need Aftermarket Diagnostic Tool Suggestion

Hope someone can help me on this. I have a 2006 Ford Escape 4WD Limited. I need a diagnostic reader that can read ALL the codes on all three communication links: the OBD-II and the CAN links (2). The generic code readers you can get at the auto stores read the engine codes, but not the CAN codes associated with the Smart Junction Box diagnostic codes, and the other diagnostic codes on the other CAN comm link in the Escape. At the dealer, they have the $5K tool that will read all the codes for the vehicle. My car probably isn't work the $5K at this point, but I am hoping someone out there has a suggestion for an aftermarket diagnostic tool that will let me see all the codes on all the links. I really don't want to have to take my car into the dealer just to get the remote keyless entry FOB working again. I suspect the SJB needs a code reset ( or it needs to be replaced ) since all the other methods for resynching the key FOB have failed.

PS: Sorry for the duplicate post - I also posted this in one of the misc. forums in case someone were to come across it.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:37 AM

There are many manufacturers of scan tools like Autel, Bosch, OTC ,Ease Auto Diagnostics etc. The only problem is there is not one that does everything except the OEM tool and that cost big bucks. That is why it may be cheaper to have the dealer or in your case a good locksmith with the equip help with the key fob problem. The more you want it to do the higher the cost.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hanky
There are many manufacturers of scan tools like Autel, Bosch, OTC ,Ease Auto Diagnostics etc. The only problem is there is not one that does everything except the OEM tool and that cost big bucks. That is why it may be cheaper to have the dealer or in your case a good locksmith with the equip help with the key fob problem. The more you want it to do the higher the cost.

100% agreed. The dealer can read the code and will likely only charge a shop hour to do so. If you do end up needing the smart junction box I believe that you will likely need part number 6L8Z-15604-BB (#6L8Z15604BB: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Receiver) based upon the vehicle description you gave, if you PM your VIN I can double check for you.