Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2001 Escape Blowing Brake light and Hazard fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Default 2001 Escape Blowing Brake light and Hazard fuse

I have a 2001 Ford Escape and recently it has been blowing both the break light and hazard/flashers fuses. It started with the break light fuse leaving me stranded in a drive through for an hour because I could not get the car out of park (I've since learned about the manual override for the interlock solenoid). We figured out the problem and put in a new fuse that blew immediately, and then we put in another and it got me home. It worked for a few days, but then on my way home one night I noticed my turn signals weren't working and I didn't have break lights either. Luckily I got home safely that night, but I've been afraid to take the car out since. My dad has played around with the wires a lot and sometimes it will go a few days with out blowing again.
At one point the park interlock solenoid stopped working but the fuse didn't blow. Now it's working again and only blowing fuses every now and then. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to blowing the fuses.
The hazard fuse seems to blow when the right signal or the hazard flashers are turned on, but not every time.
Everything works when the blown fuses are replaced most of the time. Sometimes it blows the new ones immediately other times it takes a few days.

Any advice or information on how to fix this problem. Any information would be gratefully appreciated. We've talked to Ford and they don't know what it's doing.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:53 PM

I've seen a few problems like this after recent body work. I'd pull the lamps out and check for wire looms being caught between a bolt washer and the body.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:03 PM

My dad checked all of the wires, but my car has a factory tow package and since that is the only place where those circuits come together, we (including the guys at a local garage) think that the problem is in the tow package relay. Does anyone know where to find it?