Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2013 Ford Escape and Fusion Recalled Over 1.6-liter EcoBoost Engine Fire Risk

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Not sure exactly how they're fixing this with software, but I've been hearing that if what they're doing is making it run cooler, we should expect to see the fuel economy suffer.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM

I seem to be getting about the same as before the fix. Before the fix I was getting between 26 and 28 mpg in about half hwy and city driving. After the fix it seems to be about the same. I have not heard anything about making it run cooler but, that doesn't mean I know what they actually did.
From what I understand the software was not programmed to respond to a sudden drop in pressure and, when the pressure dropped, due to a loose radiator cap, or other leak in the system, the software closed the coolant valve so as to increase the pressure in the system. When the temperature went up the software would open the coolant valve, which was dependent on pressure in the system and the coolant would not flow into the engine. The engine then over heats, gaskets burst, and coolant leaks on the engine. With the high temperatures associated with a turbo charger the coolant would ignite and start a fire.
So, the fix is supposed to only close the valve when there is sufficient pressure available in the system to operate the valve.

That is my take on the problem, I am not an engineer, however, I do have a background in software and systems. So, it all makes sense if I understand the problem correctly.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Hi, im new to the board and looking at getting a 2013 escape - does anyone have any updates on these recalls? is the 1.6L engine safe now? should I just go with a 2.0L?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Hello, I have the 1.6 and am very happy with the car and the motor. I have an SE since I did not want to get the price of the car up by adding, the leather interior, bigger engine and all wheel drive. Front wheel drive works fine for me. I drive the car on the beach and have not yet been stuck, packed sand beach. There is plenty of pick up and, passing is a breeze. The mileage is a bit better than the 2.0L and, the only difference that is really noticeable is from 0-60. I never experienced any problems with my Escape however, it was recalled for about three weeks. Ford supplied the rental car for the same time period so, it worked out fine for me.
My advice is to drive both models and, see which you like better. I was looking for the gas mileage and, reasonable price and something I can take to the beach and not worry about getting sand in it. I did put seat covers on - Wet Okole - they fit like a glove and look great in the car.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Question 2013 Escape

Took our Escape to dealer on Monday for the recall. Our car needs a new waterpump which the staff says no one has and that the car may be with dealer for a month or longer. This is discouraging as we bought our Escape with extra safety features. Loaner is a Fusion, too low for me.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:41 PM

Very common for these to need water pumps before the recall I am doing one of these recalls tomorrow and that is the first thing we check.