Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

broken outer door handle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Default broken outer door handle

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and was unable to find help via search. My wife has an '01 XLT escape that we bought new and she (and I) really enjoy. Recently the passenger door stopped opening from the outside. I removed the door panel to find the metal rod that clips into part of the outer door mechanism is dangling inside the door. The hole that it used to clip into is half gone (plastic piece) so it is obvious that I need to replace that plastic piece. I removed the2 screws that I saw and while it moves around it seems to still be held by something. It has been cold out so I haven't spent too much time on it. I'm wondering if there is anyone here who has "been there done that"? If so, can you share with me how to get this apart?

Thank you,
Jeff

Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: broken outer door handle

Welcome to the site..

Sent you an email..

Old 02-25-2008, 11:35 PM

hey anyway someon can you shoot me those instructions on how to fix this issue the same thing just happened to me this past weekend

Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 PM

I have the same problem on my wife's 2001 Escape. The passenger door froze shut a couple weekends ago and 'mysteriously' stopped working after that. I took off the inner panel this weekend and found the same broken metal arm that fits around a plastic bushing on a rod that moves the latch. The part that broke off is kind of like half of a really small washer. I found a site online that looked like it had the parts but the diagrams they had weren't detailed enough to tell which part was the right one. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 PM

Hi All,

I ended up figuring this one out. I first went to the local Ford dealership and bought the part. That wasn't a lot of help in figuring out how to fix it but I will give a brief explanation that will hopefully save anyone else who is experiencing this some of the headaches I encountered. The part at the dealership was less that $30. Start with your window up (and leave it that way). I removed the inner door panel (which I believe had 4 screws and several of the push type retainers common on door panels). After removing the inner door panel peel back the paper type lining. Next remove the 2 torx screws that are on the part behind the outer door handle. Also, remove the 3 torx screws that hold the door striker/catch or latch on the side of the door. Now move to the outer portion of the handle.There is a part that stays stationary when you pull on the handle (it is toward the back of the vehicle) With a little force this should snap out of its resting point. Now pull on the handle as if you were going to open the door but only pull it slightly, not to the extent of its travel and at the same time pull with a little bit of force toward the back of the vehicle. The outer handle should snap out of the inner piece that you unscrewed earlier. At this point you should be able to manipulate the whole inner mechanism out from the inside of the door. Replace the piece and install the latch release rod into the loopon thenew part. Reversethisprocess for reassembly and you're done. Yes, this is a little vague but it gives you the "secrets" you need to repair your car. Also, I fixed it last weekend and I am just writing this up so if anyone has any edits or if I missed anything please feel free to post.

Good luck,
Jeff

Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Angry Escape door handles - BOTH of them broken

My sons' 2002 Escape has a nasty problem. The drivers door handle is broken both inside and out, preventing any access to the door mechanism, since the door cannot be opened from outside or inside. The electric door lock works, but both inside and outside handles do not. Any suggestions would be welcome.... Climbing in the window is out at my age, and crawling across the console after entering the passenger door is not much better. There seems to be a problem with Escape handles. Googling reveals lots of recall notes, and the door lock on this one does not activate electrically on the passenger door.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

Clarification to my post above. The electric door lock system works on the rear doors & tailgate, but not on either of the front doors.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:08 PM

welcome on a board !!

Old 05-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Default Both inner and outer door handles broken

OK, I finally found a way (don't ask what I did) to get the door open. The inner handle now seems to work OK, after I removed the inner panel. I examined the outside door handle mechanism especially the part where I THINK something must connect that vertical link to the larger plastic part. No idea how those two work together, but I guess I will have to remove the passenger inner panel, to see if something is missing or broken. Stay tuned, movie at 10:00.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM

Wonder of wonders, the drivers door handle (inner) has now failed again. I got the panel off the passenger door, and have some idea of what went wrong in the drivers door. There seems to be a flat metal plate that somehow connects to the vertical link. I need a better light.

Quick Reply: broken outer door handle