Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Catalytic Converter Problems

Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM
amy
Question Catalytic Converter Problems

Im new to this forum hoping it will bring me some luck. I have a 2004 escape V6 3.0l front wheel drive. The catalytic converters are clogged. I have already had the one in the back replace (because that was the easy one). They are telling me at Car-x $2300 for the two up front. I understand these are connected to the manifold an thats why they are so expensive an hard to replace. Does anyone happen to know a work around for the 2 CAT connected to the manifold? I am not looking to spend alot of money just trying to keep it running for about 6 more months till I can get a new one.

Thanks
Amy

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Would you mind telling us what kind of problems you are experiencing? Rare all converters all go at once. Unless the vehicle was driven with a very rich mixture and check engine light flashing.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM
amy

When the problem originally started about 6 months ago I was mashing on the gas with little to no acceleration at all. Had it checked at mechanic at the time an he said all 3 needed to be replaced. I had someone replace the converter in the back since it was easiest an most inexpensive. Now yesterday same problem occurred except this time when I step on gas it hisses at me during acceleration, but not when my foot is not on gas. Also acceleration is lacking. I have no check engine light this time. When the problem originally occurred I did have check engine light. So Car-x says that the 2 in the front are now clogged. They did unhook one of them an banged on it an some of the honeycomb came out. That did help my car out a bit but I know that wont last long. Just wondering cause I know you can straight pipe a "normal" car but with the converters build into the manifolds is there any quick and cheap fix around it? Really just looking to keep my car around alittle longer.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 AM

If the converters are breaking up you can either let some of the pieces out or replace them. Shop around some places will be more reasonable with their prices.