Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Engine light flashing/intake gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Default Engine light flashing/intake gaskets

So my 03 escape was having a rough idle and engine ligt came on.Scanned it a few weeks ago and both o2 sensor bank 1 and 2 showed up.p0195 p0197
So from a few people on here i was told intake manifold gasket so i took to shop and was told yes that was the issue i need to get lower and upper done.

On way to shop today had the engine light start flashing and hesitation bad so pulled over and then the engine light came on solid and start running better i scanned it and now i also have multiple cylinder miss fire codes.
P0316 P0300

My question is
hopefully that has to do with the intake gaskets and over fueling?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 PM

I would like to jump in here for a second! I have a 2010 escape and posted for a different issue, but now see that we may have the same issue. I did a tune up on my 2010 and replaced the upper intake gasket, but did not touch the lower one.

It started idling a little rough before the tune up , thought that would fix it. It has gotten worse! I did not have a torque wrench so may not have do it tight enough. Now after reading your post I wonder if it could be the same issue for me.

It starts fine and runs on the highway ok, but the engine seem to vibrate at lower speeds, or it is more noticeable! Now I feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. I am worried that I will do the truck serious damage. I live out of town an commute every day, so my truck is my life now!

I would like to hear more about your symptoms. Could I do the lower gasket myself. The upper one was easy. I have never done it before.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Post note! I had an engine light come on before the tune up, shop said it was a misfire code, but they could not find it! It has not come up for about a month now, they moved a plug around, do not understand it but it seems to have worked!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Well shop does lower and upper intake puts it together and still running like crap opens it up notices the new spark plugs are already fuel foul. does compression test and 2 cylinders are low compression.
Just wonderful. Says either head or pistons.Says most likely pistons so now blizzard outside and its still in shop..

If it needs pistons what else should be done since its all opened up?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 PM

low compression is almost always broken valve springs on these, also I had a few the cam cap bolts break have them pull valve cover on the bank with the misfire and look for it!!!! they also come loose and don't break so I quick visual will not find they must make sure they are not loose or backed out! These engines just don't fail on the bottom end unless abuse!

The flashing check eng light was a dead give away, leaky intake gaskets will no cause a misfire at speed.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by makuloco2000
low compression is almost always broken valve springs on these, also I had a few the cam cap bolts break have them pull valve cover on the bank with the misfire and look for it!!!! they also come loose and don't break so I quick visual will not find they must make sure they are not loose or backed out! These engines just don't fail on the bottom end unless abuse!

The flashing check eng light was a dead give away, leaky intake gaskets will no cause a misfire at speed.
Thank you for this i will pass this info on to them.Hopefully its one of those as it sounds better then pistons

Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM

I know time is money but now might be really good time to rebuild it depending on a few things like if you have the cash to have it done. that way when you get it back it will be like having brand new car. I don't know what the mileage is on your escape but if it's wore out pretty good and things are starting to go bad it might be a good idea to have them check it out and go from there.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM

Well 2 very long weeks and i got the escape back.Went to shop told them to leave it alone once they said they would not rebuild and only put a used motor in with more millage then what mine had and wanted 3000, so i went there took it and damn it would not stay running and was getting 4mpg.

I took it to the shop i usually deal with and they did a compression test that turned out good took them a couple hours looking it over to figure out i was being taken for a ride and the shop that did the intake gaskets ended up connecting the harness wrong to the plugs.

they had number 4 to 6 and 6 to 4 cylinder so the escape was running on only 4 cylinders.Not to mention also had a bad coil.

So my normal shop changed the coil and put the harness to the proper firing order and it runs better then before.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by blazed16
Well 2 very long weeks and i got the escape back.Went to shop told them to leave it alone once they said they would not rebuild and only put a used motor in with more millage then what mine had and wanted 3000, so i went there took it and damn it would not stay running and was getting 4mpg.

I took it to the shop i usually deal with and they did a compression test that turned out good took them a couple hours looking it over to figure out i was being taken for a ride and the shop that did the intake gaskets ended up connecting the harness wrong to the plugs.

they had number 4 to 6 and 6 to 4 cylinder so the escape was running on only 4 cylinders.Not to mention also had a bad coil.

So my normal shop changed the coil and put the harness to the proper firing order and it runs better then before.
Sweet I am glad you took it to a competent shop and saved thousands!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:03 PM

So guys update,After running great for a few days i ended up having some hesitation and took it back they determined coil 4 had some miss in it so we put in a used one that he had.
It seems to fix the issue for a few days but then i started having bad misses engine light always flashing.Scan shows missfire cylinder 4 and 6 so i got a couple more used coils that were laying in shop they look a bit different then the ones in my escape but he said wouldnt matter.
We put them in and now i have missfire on just cylinder 6
P0306 and P0316 show up on the scanner.

Would buying brand new coils fix issue or what else should i have checked?

Last edited by blazed16; 01-25-2014 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine light flashing/intake gaskets