Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Default leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?

I have a small leak coming from the rear end of my 2005 ford escape. It seems to be coming from where the drive shaft enters the rear differential. I'm not sure what that point of entry is called. I have taken a few pictures so hopefully that will give you an idea. I had my rear axel seals done a while ago and know it's not that. It appears to be a thick oil that is dripping, not a lot, but still concerning. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be and if it is a big problem?

Attached Thumbnails leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?-photo.jpg   leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?-photo2.jpg   leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?-photo3.jpg   leak from rear end....possibly rear diff?-photo4.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The seal is called a pinion seal. Not a bad job to change, but does require some stout or more specialized tools to remove the pinon nut and hold the pinion yoke (where the drive shaft attaches) from turning both during 'and' after the seal replacment. The pinion nut must be retighted to the correct tighness as before. The nut/pinion is checked for bearing preload/load as the pinion is rotated with a torque indicator to measurre the rotational drag. Set too loose and it could leak, too tight, and it could damage the pinion bearing/s..

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks hayapower! I believe that is the problem I have. A friend of mine can do the job so hopefully it won't be too much damage on my wallet.

I really appreciate the knowledge you shared with me and the time you took to answer my question!

This is the best forum site out there and fords are the best vehicles out there

Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 PM

i just did the rear axle seals and now the fluid is pouring out the diff seal, and i know how to do the procedure and all just need to know the specs of the touque and such, so even if someone has a walkthrough or the specs would be helpful...