Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

New 2016 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by primem
marketplace, a consumer advocate tv program in Canada did a report on epa ratings and consumer complaints about this very subject. After seeing one of the interviewed owners vehicle, I had to shake my head...had a luggage rack mounted to the roof!

In Canada they are adopting a new test criteria that more so simulates real life driving. The result was lower ratings for the newer model year.

Yea I think this crazy because I would not have bought this particular vehicle if it wasn't for the mpg stated

Old 11-09-2015, 03:42 AM

I've written about how EPA rating were derived, but this like is more in-depth. I personally have never purchased a vehicle based on MPG, I bought it based on it's safety factor (after I grew up and had a family) and because that's what I wanted.

Here's the link to EPA derived ratings...How the EPA Gets Its Fuel Economy Estimates | U.S. News Best Cars

Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
I've written about how EPA rating were derived, but this like is more in-depth. I personally have never purchased a vehicle based on MPG, I bought it based on it's safety factor (after I grew up and had a family) and because that's what I wanted.

Here's the link to EPA derived ratings...How the EPA Gets Its Fuel Economy Estimates | U.S. News Best Cars
Well I wasn't particularly looking at fuel factor. I just happened to like the Escape and the fuel economy vs a larger vehicle was better. I needed more room to load the grandkids in. Thank you again for the info!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by CinK
I just purchased a 2016 Escape SE. I was told by the dealer and the sticker, that I should get 24 mpg city. Had the car 3 weeks and I am avg between 12-14 mpg. When I asked the dealer about this, I was told it had a break-in period of 2000-3000 miles before I will see that. Really?? Is this typical of a new vehicle?? I've never had this with any other new vehicle I've had.
Seems odd to me. I just purchased the same rig, and I am getting 23.5 mpg around town with less than 200 miles on it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by karenzacharias
Seems odd to me. I just purchased the same rig, and I am getting 23.5 mpg around town with less than 200 miles on it.
Wow that's what I was going for! I'm currently getting less than 17 and spoke with the dealer manager last week. Again he said not until after 3000 miles! They better hope it jumps up, because this is unacceptable!

I'm glad yours is doing so well!

Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 PM

As a side note, I believe that the EPA ratings are derived and still based on 55 MPH.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
As a side note, I believe that the EPA ratings are derived and still based on 55 MPH.
I have only had it on the highway once and I got 29 mpg. Most of my driving is city (grocery store, doctors, etc). Would think it should be better than 16-17 mpg

Old 12-30-2015, 12:24 PM

Which motor did you get with yours? Mine is the 2.0 Ecoboost - in case that makes the difference.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by karenzacharias
Which motor did you get with yours? Mine is the 2.0 Ecoboost - in case that makes the difference.
I think it's the 2.4L. Not ecoboost tho.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CinK
I have only had it on the highway once and I got 29 mpg. Most of my driving is city (grocery store, doctors, etc). Would think it should be better than 16-17 mpg
16-17 in the stop and go during winter conditions is not bad mileage.
29mpg highway with an awd suv is pretty good too.

here is the epa rating
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...WD&srchtyp=ymm
...no other similar vehicle in the class is going to get any better mileage. there is nothing wrong with your car. if run through the epa I/m rating test, it would post the same mileage as specified. you are driving real life condtions not epa test criteria.

Last edited by primem; 12-30-2015 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: New 2016 Escape