Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Shift Interlock problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Default Shift Interlock problem

My wife has a 2002 Escape and backed into the driveway the other inght, put the car in neutral, then put it in park only to find out that it was still in neutral. I went out to take a look and found that I could move the car manually while the shifter was in park. I tried to move the shifter out of park but could not. I could not hear the usual click when the brake was applied to release the interlock.

The car was towed to the dealer and they called today to say that nothing was wrong. They are saying that it is possible the interlock is bad and it would be $600.00 to replace. They tried it for two days and it appears to be working now.

Needless to say we are not doing the replacement right now, but, could the interlock be the problem? Why did it all of a sudden start to work again?

I was a mechanic for many years until 1993 and then all I worked on was classic and antique cars. Is this something that I can do myself and if so where is the best place to gain the information and/or diagram as to how this is done? Is this something on the steering column? Inside the transmission?

Any help is appreciated.

Ron

Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Shift Interlock problem

Are the shifter positions sloppy? or do you have to shift hunt for the correct or any selected positions? Generally a hung interlock won't cause the shifter/trans to not lock the pawl.. If it hangs again, look to see if the tail lamps are coming on with the pedal depressed.. The interlock is on a relay, and the relays coil ground is controlled by the instrument panel micro processor.. If the interlock won't release, there's an overide access cover on the top of the column cover.. Remove it and insert a screw driver ect. and hold down for a manual release while turning the key.. The proceedure should be in the owners guide as well..

Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, the shifter was in park when I was able to look at the car as she was able to put the car in park. I could not get it out of park but I did remove the small cover on the top of the column and depressed the lever inside and was able to release the shifter. The problem then was that the shifter would wobble without allowing any detents. Also the car was able to be started and shut off at will, the only thing was, was that it always stayed in neutral.

I think you may have something though about the relay. I figured that something (maybe the relay, or a circuit breaker) cooled down and everything was well when it got to the dealer?

I will check the tail lights if it happens again.

One question. Is the system connected to the brake light switch? I noticed as I was under the dash looking that there were I think, two switches. Is this possible? Or is the brake light switch the one that controls the action?

I may go to the library tomorrow and see if I can get a diagram of the system. I have a friend that had a shop about a year ago and I think he has an All Data, so maybe that will help me.

Thanks again for the tips and I will check if it happens again.
Ron

Old 01-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

One switch is control for the brake lamps/interlock, and the other is the cruise cancel/deactivation switch.. It sounds like the selector cable came loose since you lost the detent 'feel'.. I can send you the system schematics if you need them.. If the interlock hangs again,you couldpull the interlock relay, then manually 'bridge' the relays terminal/connections from the brake peddle switch output,, to the interlock solenoid (load) and take both the relay, and the micro processor out of the diagnosis.. If the stop lamps and interlock then work, or if/when the relay is replaced the system fails again, it could be a failing relay, circuit problem,or an issue with the processor.. If the bridge connection won't activate the interlock, chances are the solenoid is on it's way out or possibly a circuit issue..

Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 AM

That would be fantastic if you could send me that. If I know how all this is put together then it's not a problem figuring it out and much better then fumbling around and maybe burn up the harness, ha,ha.

e-mail: oldcarmechanic@yahoo.com

Does the relay ground the circuit? Or apply power to the solenoid? My guess is apply power.

I really appreciate the help and the information. Many of these message boards are tough to get answers and it's a plus to get something from someone that has some knowledge.

I am on some classic car boards and do a lot of answering. Many come there just for the "tell me what screw to turn" and never come back. It's always rewarding to help people.

Thanks again, Hayapower
Ron

Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Right,,in that the relay complete's the power distribution to the interlock, with thecluster micro processor in control of the relay ground.. Hope the info helps for a direction, let me know if you need any other area viewing..

Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM

Thank you it is much appreciated.

Ron

Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Default Brake Shift Interlock Issue

on my 1996 ford aerostar is having like problems, when i hit the brakes no brake lights come on. shifter will not come out of park when key is on. checked fuses #1 and #5 and replaced the brake light switch 2 times. would that be the interlock? is there a way to bypass this?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:57 PM

Hi i have a problem with an Aerostar 87 the shift lever is broken and it has been really hard to find a replacement. The thing is that it is a manual transmission. The problem is that Ford does not have replacement part for that year and model. If anyone knows if any other shift lever can work for this aerostar that can be install to work properly or if you know where one can be found please reply. This post is probably a little off topic but I really need help! please reply! Thanks!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Default OT: Finding parts

Originally Posted by j0o05s53e3
Hi i have a problem with an Aerostar 87 the shift lever is broken and it has been really hard to find a replacement. The thing is that it is a manual transmission. The problem is that Ford does not have replacement part for that year and model. If anyone knows if any other shift lever can work for this aerostar that can be install to work properly or if you know where one can be found please reply. This post is probably a little off topic but I really need help! please reply! Thanks!
I agree it's a little off the topic, but it is still a valid question.

If I was in need of a part that was hard to find, I would contact the guys at my favorite local body shop. These guys are asked to repair all kinds of things on all kinds of cars of all ages. It seems no one knows better than them how to find such parts.

If you ask them nicely, I bet they can help you find what you need. Of course I would offer to fairly compensate them for their help in getting the part. That would be money well spent and much better than not finding it.

"Repairs are almost always better than car payments". OMO YMMV

Ken

Quick Reply: Shift Interlock problem