Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Sunroof glass Defect

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Default Sunroof glass Defect

2008 Ford Escape, possible defect in sunroof glass. Ford taking absolutely NO responsibility, and this is NOT covered by any warrenty, extended or otherwise. I was driving down the road and the sunroof glass exploded without any provocation, no rock, nothing falling from the sky, just a loud and I do mean LOUD pop, followed by crackling sound, glass was completely shattered. It was 80 degrees outside, overcast day, my windows were rolled down, heat was not a factor. After following up with Ford (this vechile is 1.5 years old with 20,000 mi) and being told they will NOT help me, except to charge me $1050.00 to replace just the glass, I started shopping around. Finally had to file a claim w/my insurance provider, and pay the $500 deductible, total cost to repair w/a company that my insurance provider recommended was over $1400. FOR A PIECE OF GLASS!!! This glass of course had to be special ordered from FORD, so I am leary of this lasting more than a year! we will see. In the meantime I am going to work w/my insurance provider to get my premiums down, in preparation for the next time. I do not recommend an escape or other vehicle from FORD that has a sunroof!!! Not worth the hassle.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Wow! The sunroof on our 2008 Escape exploded last week on I-95! My hubby and I were sure nothing hit the roof to cause the break. A very scary way to begin our vacation. We had to have the glass replaced at FORD in Florida....but still need to replace the entire tracking as tiny bits of glass got into the track. So far, 750.00, a lot of stress, and two days lost vacation.

Can we go after FORD together?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Being that the 2008 Escape is a "REDESIGNED" vehicle, including new sheet metal work, it wouldn't suprise me that the body is somehow flexing enough to cause the moon/sun roof to break. Ford had the same issue with the rear hatch window when they redesigned the Explorer in 2002. Ford paid for these repairs and I would contact your District Ford Rep if the Dealer is giving you a hard time. Keep your repair receipts for a future reimbursement.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Default Sunroof glass Defect

Thank you for the input, I will be contacting my Ford Rep. I saved all reciepts. However, the ford dealership did say they are not responsible for any glass work, including sun roof, its basically my word against theirs, for all they know, something could have hit it....although I know nothing did. The glass repair shop manager said they could not determine the cause by looking at it. I was lucky i didn't have to have the track replaced.
Thx

Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 AM

Keep your foot down and planted firm. The "BURDEN OF PROOF" for a manufacturer defect falls on the manufacturer. The vehicle comes with a 3yr/36,000 mile Bumper-To-Bumper warranty. I don't ever remember reading anything in any of my vehicle warranties that stated glass was not covered.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM

Unbelievable guys, this morning I wasn't even moving I just went out to start my 2008 Ford xlt it only has 22095 miles on it and wasn't even moving and the sunroof exploded. It was 50 degrees outside , sunny and Ford won't do anything, I have 3 yr , 36000 warranty plus extended warranty, plus my son works at the dealership. Better yet they use the excuse possibly a rock or frozen ice hit it. Must of been a boulder because why would the glass be shooting upward and not down like something landed on it ? I wrote to the National Safety Board tonight , and luckily we have an attorney in our family because they wanted to charge us $660.00 to replace it. I said excuse me I don't think so this vehicle is only 1 1/2 yrs old and It was sitting still . Luckily my son was a Ford school in Chicago taking class. I didn't deal with the dealership he works at because they pretty much kept saying it was probably a rock . I ironically I have a rather long concrete driveway and the road was blocked off for thru traffice due to work on the spillway on the lake and there was no traffic at the time. So unless there are some rather large birds dropping large rocks and there wasn't 1 to be found on the vehicle or ice chunks on the ground anywhere on this sunny morning. I owned a Ford Explorer prior to this and it had a sunroof an nope I can say never had it explode. So someone at Ford is a liar.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 AM

Contact the National Highway Traffic and Safety Assoo. File a complaint they will ask the vin # ect. and when the incident occurred ect. If they find a pattern then they will get a recall going possible. If you see their list I went with other because they have a list of catagories you go under. As I said before we aren't letting this one fly because the vehicle only has 22000 miles and wasn't even moving. For this to happen.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Default The dealership is replacing my sunroof

Fortunately the dealership where I purchased the sunroof is replacing my sunroof N/C I still filed a complaint thru the www.nhtsa.dot.gov
I was lucky I wasn't driving at the time so it was very unusual for a vehicle to have a sunroof just explode like that sitting still that is what the first Ford dealership said they never heard of such a thing. So at least I am a Fortunate one I have a dealer who took care of the matter. So I was rather shocked

Old 07-23-2010, 11:18 AM

This happened to me yesterday with my 2009 Ford Focus with 16500 miles. I had two eight year old girls in the back seat that I just picked up from Girl Scout camp. Thank goodness I had the cover pulled closed. We were driving down the highway when all of a sudden it sounded like something hit the sunroof. I then hear glass start to fall on the cover. I am so happy that cover was closed. We were going about 65 and I hate to even think what would have happen to the girls if the cover was open.

The dealer will not replace it. I am having to go through my insurance company. I am very upset and disappointed.

Name:  sunroof012.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  sunroof021.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  60.8 KB

Last edited by Lynn1020; 07-23-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Default Taurus Sunroof Exploded

It just happened to me. Driving at 70 mph, open highway, 74 degrees F outside. Sounded like a shotgun was fired just outside the car.

2011 Ford Taurus is 2.5 years old with 28K miles. Ford is trying to say it's a road hazard, but nothing hit the car and nothing was around the car.

I've ordered pictures incase I need to report this to the feds and send to the Ford CEO. Hopefully we will resolve this the way it should be. You can plainly see that this exploded outwards. It's a good thing that no car was behind us. If we were on an LA freeway, there could have been a huge mess in the rear view mirror.

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof glass Defect-sunroof_glass_exploded_outward3.jpg  

Quick Reply: Sunroof glass Defect