Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

02 Excursion xlt 5.4 gas 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Default 02 Excursion xlt 5.4 gas 2wd

i parked my suv slightly down hill, wheels turned to the right for safety, every thing working fine. i come back 2 days later and my steering wheel started turning rough, binds. it kinds of sticks or skips at the middle of the turning of steering wheel. i notice that the sticking or low clicking noise comes from right behind the steering wheel. my key turns as if something is binding it, but the suv still starts. i have looked on youtube and found that it maybe a clock spring problem. i couldnt find any clock spring repalcement at any local autoparts store, even on line, amazon, ebay and google. my only choice was ford dealership, will costing me $300.00. please is there anyone with experience on this type of problem. thanks

Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Generally a clock spring or sliding contact, will/can make a scrapping sound, or chirp as the wheel rotates on over. Plastic on plastic rubbing,, but the clock spring is nothing more than a thin wound ribbon circuit tape. If it were to come apart, or the housing body to fail, good chance you'd get an air bag indication. But I've never seen one cause issues with the ignition lockset.

Is there any play, looseness up/down/ in or out in the column and/or wheel?
Has anyone done any steering, steering gear work?

The clock spring is rotation sensitive meaning on install its centered and by design is sensitive to rotational count in either direction. If the steering column connect was removed, and the wheel not held center, a reinstall if the steering has been rotated or spun can damage the clock spring.

Clock springs are normally dealer only. You may have luck in a dismantlers yard, but chances are they won't part out a good column, and some are exposed to the elements if the glass is blown..

Before buying one, ( generally not returnable since an old one could be reboxed/ returned) I'd have a look into the column, ( the key issue is odd) unless the column is bound and they wheel lock adds drag on the lock sets rotation..

Old 10-12-2016, 05:54 PM

the steering wheel feels strong, no play at all, no ones done any gear work. i've had this vehicle since 2007. i'm able to remove the lock cylinder with no problem. theirs some sort of sensor that runs from the clock spring to the bottom outside of the cylinder holder. might be a hall sensor. just got back from the dealer, bought the item for $245. they wanted to install it for $380. i'm nervous but will be attempting to install it myself tomorrow, 10/13/16. according to youtube videos, i've got all the symptoms of a malfunctioning clock spring: my windows would sometimes not work, my turn signals would work fine but then stop blinking all the time even hazards, my radio buttons sometimes stick, my door lock used to make this vibration noise when i lock it with my remote. my cruse button sometimes works. im hoping its the clock spring not a column problem. thanks for your suggestions wish me luck, ill keep you informed.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you have a few separate issues, clock spring isn't related to some of them.

Is the wire that clips go the lockset bore single wire, plastic slide with a brass prong? If so, it's the key in ignition sense. Basically a grounding wire...

Old 10-12-2016, 11:18 PM

i feel like kickin myself a few times Hayapower. i just got through watching a video on youtube and your words of having my steering column checked before buying that part flashed through my mind over and over. had to come on and APOLOGIZE to you for not taking your advice. the video was talking about the lower steering shaft universal joints binding just the way my steering wheel is doing. i know im not the only one to jump to getting parts, but i feel the big lose. im driving it down the street tomorrow to an auto shop and take it from there. canceling the clock spring replacement till further notice i guess. thank you for the advice.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Default fresh from the auto shop

just got my ex02 from the auto shop today 10/14/16. working like it did before, fine. the shop asked me if someone had tried to steal it? i told them someone did. the thief couldn't get it started with out the transponder key. the shop said the thief broke the steering lock and the broken piece was stuck in their. thats why my steering wheel and turning my key started binding. the new clock spring i bought, i had them install it since the mechanic was taking the steering wheel off anyway. i appreciate this ford site and the advise i received. every thing i do to my ex02 now, i will talk about it here. next ex02 project is my shocks. i bought the shocks from amazon about 4 months ago. next month i will have them replaced. take care... EXCURSION UP!!!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Glad its corrected.

An attempted theft, lockset damage, good opening info.

Don't forget pics, we like to see members rigs...

Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 PM

well so much for the good times, steering acting up. not the same problem, as in the steering column, but away. a low whining noise when i turn, but still turns like it should.

the more i drive, i get a hi pitch noise as if my rotter is rubbing against the metal guard, not sure. found that one of my sway bar links, drivers side, is broken in half. would a broken sway link cause this noise or are my brakes ready for a swap?
i bought the replacement link. seems easy to replace. just gotta get the tools. wish i could rent tools such as hand tools like wrenches, sockets......

staying positive