Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

Engine replace or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Default Engine replace or not

Hello all. Looking for some straight advice. I have moved to Middle East and I am considering getting my ford excursion 2001 up and running again that I have stored in states and shipping it to Middle East . Low miles on transmission, but Needs a new engine.

My options is to replace engine or just bit the bullet and buy used. Everything over here gas GCC Specs and you can not ship it back to states. Really love the excursion SUV, great space and a bit sentimental to it. Does drank the gas, but gas prices where I am at is very low.

Should I Love it or Leave it????

Pros and cons from fellow expert Ford lovers

Last edited by Backspin; 04-04-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM

Keeping in mind the vehicle is more than 13 yrs old and a lot can go wrong in that time even without use !! Tough decision . I would consider getting another vehicle. What kind of parts and service are available there?

Old 04-04-2014, 12:54 PM

I have drove truck... Truck does run... Keep it cranked and driven for short distance, been told problem is bearing causing low oil pressure... New fuel pump put in by ford and complete diagnostics. Truck I sound I think, other than oil problem...

Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 PM

How loves their excursion more than I do? Any more input to love it or leave it.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:56 AM

that decision is all yours. if you like it that much and can afford to have the engine replaced then by all means do it but on the other hand if you can't afford to replace the engine or the cost is too great and the value of it goes way down then leave it and trade it in on a new one. another option you have is to have that engine rebuilt with all new bearings and internal parts that could also save you some money and at the same time give you a new engine that in some cases may last longer than a used engine or even a crate engine. there are pros and cons no matter what you decide it is up to you and what you really want

Old 04-05-2014, 02:47 PM

Thanks.. Yeah I know the decision is all mine. I just wanted to know if anyone else had experience the same kind of decision with success. Thanks for all inputs.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM

I have had some good luck with replacing engines in my vehicles but you must consider this when ever I've done it it was due to a case of having to do it and not because I wanted to or I couldn't afford another vehicle. and that I like to build my own vehicles that way I know what I've got and How to take care of it