Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

Transmission Lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Default Transmission Lifespan

I have a 2002 Excursion with 102,000 miles powered by a PowerStroke and automatic transmission. I’m the original owner and have taken good care of it with regular oil/fluid changes and maintenance. I am confident as one can be about the engine being good for another couple hundred thousand miles, but what about the lifespan of the Ford transmission?
Also...
How often should u-joints be replaced?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM

There is no set time / miles when to replace u-joints. Factory installed u-joints have no provision to lubricate. Inspection and regular attention are the best methods to determine if a u-joint needs to be replaced, otherwise , rust trails ,vibration, squeal on take off and driveline noise let you know it may be time to replace them. Certain positions go first, but best to do all at once. If you are not comfortable with the present amount of miles on them , for piece of mind you can have them done when convenient. If your vehicle has 4 wheel drive and you use that a lot, better to do them also.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:14 PM

I have a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion with 297000 on the Odometer, pulled numerous trailers over highway, U-joints still original, Transmission has a Performance upgrade of new torque converter, porting on valve body, shift point adjustments @ 230000 miles. Runs great