Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

03 Exp. Vacuum Hose Pops off on Acceleration even with clamps..Low Gas Mileage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Default 03 Exp. Vacuum Hose Pops off on Acceleration even with clamps..Low Gas Mileage!!!

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition. I had a problem about two months ago...was driving down highway, and heard a popping and spraying noise....then kind of a burningsmell. One of the vacuum hoses had popped off. Took it to mechanic, he put clamps on the hose, and drove fine for a couple of weeks except low gas mileage...like 12 mpg. Then it popped off again, was clamped again, and now another one keeps popping off....even with clamps. Obviously something is causing this! Does anyone know? If you look under the hood, it's the hoses located in upper right hand corner of vehicle. I don't know anything about mechanics.....so can someone PLEASE help me???....Oh, check engine light comes on a day or so before the hose pops off. THANKS!!!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 03 Exp. Vacuum Hose Pops off on Acceleration even with clamps..Low Gas Mileage!!!

Are the popping off hoses connected to the DPFE.. Look at this pic, see if the hoses are popping off of this sensor, or follow the hoses down to were they connect to the manifold tube.. The hoses are #2 in the pic..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/A3C70AB392214547B0EDC8AC1A2F9056.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Default RE: 03 Exp. Vacuum Hose Pops off on Acceleration even with clamps..Low Gas Mileage!!!

Thank you for some help! I looked at your picture, and I don't think those are the hoses....so I took some pics of mine to let you take a look if you don't mind. Like I said, I dont' know anything about mechanics, and I don't even know what a manifold tube is! I apologize that I don't know more than what I do. I wanted to try here first for some opinions before taking it to the shop...I kind of figured I might not get a straight answer since I'm female and don't know about it all. Thanks again for your help. The first pic is of the hose before I pulled it off. The top hose is that pic is the first hose that popped off and I got a clamp on it, then the bottom hose started popping off despite a clamp placed on it. And then today, the bottom hose just pretty much blew up! You can see some duct tape that a friend of mine put on there so I could get home...it melted it. Probably not a good idea. And the second pic is of the hose that I took off....so you can see how it blew off and melted the end of it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9763/7D365288245F4659B6D38A687F768C0D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9763/D8548656875E4514BD26C2CDEBA72419.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

The manifold I was referring to is exactly the 'pictured' area you took.. If you were to follow those hoses 'on up', you'd see the DPFE sensor I pictured.. Those hoses are for EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) flow/pressure feed for the DPFE sensor.. They are suject to some pressure but also a fair amount of heat.. Have those hoses been changed? The hoses that are on it OEM are 'silicon' and have a high heat rating.. If there is a restriction in the exhaust like a bad Catalytic Converter it will raise pressure and heat.. But if the hoses have been changed (almost looks like fuel line in the pic) to rubber they'll melt/burn pretty quick.. I don't believe I've ever seen and script/numbers on a stock DPFE hose/s.. Can you give me the 'complete' number (in white) on the hose thats not burned?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Okay, the numbers on the hose are : 06 07 04 5/16" SAE3ORG KX

That's the only numbers on it. Also, I don't know if they have ever been changed. See, this is where I'm really upset about the whole situation...I just purchased this used vehicle in December. I went to the dealership, test drove it, loved it, and purchased it immediately. I left the dealership, and drove down the road maybe two miles, and heard this sort of spraying sound...not really a click, but kind of like, " sh sh sh sh sh sh ". Sorry, the best I can describe it. I turned around immediately and told them about it. The man there drove it and said he felt like that during their inspection of the vehicle, they probably knocked off a vacuum hose. He kept it overnight and called me in the a.m. and said that's what it was and that it was fine. I drove the vehicle for about three weeks with no problem, and then it started....and it has been ongoing ever since. The only other problems I'm having with it is the mpg....like 12 or 13 tops. And to me, it seems like it drags when I accelerate, like when I'm passing a vehicle, it accelerates very slowly to me. But I'm also used to driving a much smaller, lightweight vehicle, so I don't know. And my door ajar light has started coming on also!!! Seems like only when it rains though...don't know what that's about. I feel like I've made a huge mistake in purchasing it and that I'm gonna get stuck with a huge bill, so I'm hoping it's not too late and I can catch it in time before it gets worse. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

That number is for standard 'fuel hose'.. I't's NOT correct for that application/position.. At a guess without testing, and since you have a performance/mileage complaint as well, would be that the exhaust is restricted.. Most times it's a Catalytic Converter failing and will cause excessive exhaust backpressure 'popping' the hoses off.. Most likely the reason that the originals were replaced as well.. The OEM silicon have 'no clamps' and are slip fit, so you know that the exhaust pressure is out of spec if it can blow the hoses off.. The way to check for a bad CAT is an exhaust 'pressure test' through the 02 (oxygen sensor) sensor tap in the exhaust pipe before the CAT...

Whats the mileage on your truck?

If it's a bad CAT it's not a huge expense, and something that you don't want to let go...

Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 PM

The mileage is 83,247....I know, that's high for a 2003. I fell in love with it's looks, and paid no attention to what was important. Guess that's typical of us women....[sm=smiley6.gif].

Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Also,, ..On the door switch.....The door ajar switch within the door latch is most likely hanging up.. Use a 'light weight' lube spray,or silicon, graphite ect.and soak the door latch/s in the door jamb/s liberally..The door ajar switch is a spring 'pin type'switch with its nose/pinin the 'upwards' position.. Dirt/debris collect on the pin and can hang it up..Good chance it will fix the problem, may take a few times and door closures to free the switch.. If not, the switch will need to be replaced...

Old 03-03-2007, 12:40 AM

Thank you for your help with the door ajar problem! It worked!! So, now, about the other problem.....do you think I should get the other hoses and try them first before having the catalytic converter checked out, or would my best bet be to go ahead and check for it. I just don't want to miss something and end up with a larger bill later if it's something I can prevent now. And if I should get the hoses, could you tell me exactly what I should get? Thanks so much!!!! You know your stuff.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

The thing that's concerning is that you feel you have a performance problem, and very well might.. More so since you get a CEL prior to the hose/s coming off.. If under harder accelerationthe power falls off or goes flat, there may be a restriction..Could be just a case of the wrong hoses, but being they were already replacedcertainly could mean more than hose issues since the OEM silicon hoses generally have a pretty long life/service.. You could try the replacement hoses first, and if they come off 'straight away' the pressure would need to be checked so not to damage the new hoses.. The cost of the replacemet hoses will be a 'bit' more than standard fuel line.. If you go to your local dealer they'll sell you the correct size/lenght for your application.. You can get replacement hose at independent parts vendors, but at the dealer level your sure to get the correct fit/size and may simplify, or take any guess work out of the equation..

Should you need an exhaust presure test, it's a pretty simple test to do, and shouldn't be a high expense.. Most decent exhaust shops should be able to test the pressure, and if it proves out to be a bad Cat you should be able to do the replacement at the same time, and generally are less expensive than the dealers.. A test only might be worth the expense for peace of mind..