Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Default What is this?

Boy I know I'm setting myself up good for some *clever* replies with this message (LOL) but here goes: can anyone identify what this small, black, microphone-like item hanging by an electrical wire out of the plastic moulding at the top of the windshield support on the driver-side is? (The vehicle is a 2000 Expy, EB edition, by the way.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by alpo447; 03-01-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Its a camera

This Ex is new to you?

It looks like an aftermarket mic for a hands free cell. I've installed quite a few optional Ford Mobile Ease bluetooth systems and that's usually the position we install the mic, there, or on the visor edge.. Might un snap the pillar cover and see where it goes. Odd looking for a mic, but doesn't look like a power adapter either.. Not Ford equipment.... Any logo, name, numbers on it?

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Its a camera

This Ex is new to you?

It looks like an aftermarket mic for a hands free cell. I've installed quite a few optional Ford Mobile Ease bluetooth systems and that's usually the position we install the mic, there, or on the visor edge.. Might un snap the pillar cover and see where it goes. Odd looking for a mic, but doesn't look like a power adapter either.. Not Ford equipment.... Any logo, name, numbers on it?
If it's a camera it must be broken by now after having been pointed at *my* mug during the weeks I've had the truck!

Yep, I just bought the Expedition last December and have to say I love it! I think Ford really got this one right (aside from the popped spark plug issue I've seen so much about.) Very solid-feeling and smooth-driving, plus I feel it's one of the best-looking SUV's made!

I can't believe I never noticed this thing until now. The previous owner had a cell phone installed which sits on a stalk-like holder between the driver's right knee and left of the center console. The previous owner said that the phone was, of course, un-activated but that I should be able to make 911
calls with it (as all un-activated cell phones by law are supposed to be capable of, if I'm not mistaken) but I haven't figured out how to do so yet. The phone does turn-on when I start the truck but I haven't figured out how to actually dial and "send" 911 yet. (It's not straight-forward as is the case with some of my old, un-activated cell phones, which I keep in my cars just for that purpose, if ever needed.)

No, I didn't see any kind of logo or numbers on it (although I admittedly didn't give it a close-up look, which I will now do.)

Thanks for your guesses as to what it is! I just hope a voice doesn't come out of it ordering me to "Hail Obama!" as I'm driving down the road at 65 mph ...

Last edited by alpo447; 03-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a phone cradle, its a mic... I've installed quite bit of cell equipment, and never saw a mic shaped quite like that.. Looks pretty large in diameter. Their usually tear drop, or more pencil shaped and pretty small so to be obscure. Must be older phone equipment..

Either that, or its one of those booze sniffers that shuts the engine down and calls the police

Old 03-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on the new rig BTW...

Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
If you have a phone cradle, its a mic... I've installed quite bit of cell equipment, and never saw a mic shaped quite like that.. Looks pretty large in diameter. Their usually tear drop, or more pencil shaped and pretty small so to be obscure. Must be older phone equipment..

Either that, or its one of those booze sniffers that shuts the engine down and calls the police
Thanks for your feedback, it's almost certainly a mic as you suggest. (But I think I'll just tell any parking valet etc. who needs to get behind the wheel that it really *is* a booze sniffer!)

Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 AM

the size of it it looks like a camera, for me its much more like a mic or something