Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2005 Expedition Exhaust Leak

Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Default 2005 Expedition Exhaust Leak

I posted this on the Tech forum but thought I'd post it here too:

Hi, I have 2005 Expedition with about 120,000 km (74,000 miles) on it. It recently developed a loud ticking coming from the passenger side of the engine. I have an aftermarket catback exhaust sytem, so I thought that might heve been the issue. The guy at my local dealership figured it was likely an exhaust manifold gasket that needs replacing. I've spoken to some people who suggest that it might be a broken exhaust manifold stud.

I have a couple questions:

Is the 5.4 litre in the 2005 Expedition likely to have broken manifold studs? I've only seen reference to it on the forum for older vehicles. I'm hoping that Ford improved the studs when they redesigned the Expedition in 2004.

How difficult is it to remove the exhaust manifold? Either way I'll need to get the manifold off to fix the gasket or the stud. I'm not an expert mechanic by any stretch, but I do most of my own motorcycle repair and I have a pretty decent tool collection and a place to work.

From what I hear in Canada, the repair will likely cost me between $800 and $1,500. Money is tight, so I'd like to try to do it myself. I'd really like to hear from some people that have done the job to see how hard it really is. I've done plenty of work on old clunkers when I was a kid, but I could usually stand in the engine compartment alongside the engine back then! Now engine compartments are fuller and my belly is a wee bit bigger too!

Thanks in advance,
Al T

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Thumbs up simple stud fix solution

Unfortunatley broken studs and ford suv's/trucks go hand in hand. I had the same problem on my 2002 expedition, one of the studs from the manifold broke and i had to repair it myself. I found this really cool product that was a relatively inexpensive fix for my problem. It is just a simple clamping part that reattaches the up pipe to the manifold without having to re drill or removing anything.

It is called the hush studfix: http://the-hush.com/

It took me a total of about 15 minutes to fix the leak and i had a relatively small access to tool.I didnt have to redrill the manifold or take the manifold off what so ever. Granted it was a small area to work in but the studfix was a very easy fix. i suggest you check it out.
-good luck