Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2001 Expedton 5.4 shifter/park/start problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Default 2001 Expedton 5.4 shifter/park/start problems

My 01 Expedition has progressively gotten harder to start. The problem is that the shifter has to be pulled upward (forcefully) in order for the starter to engage. Also, when I put it in park and am sitting on an incline, the tranny does not always fully engage in park. Is there a shift cable or linkage adjustment that has somehow worked its way loose? Any help or referal to some information would be greatly appreciated.

Art

Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 Expedton 5.4 shifter/park/start problems

Does the shifter seam exceptionally 'range sloppy' or do youhave to 'hunt' for selected positions?

A real common problem with thesecolumns is a set oftorx screws (2) that work loose and backout over time.. They attach the selector leverscolumn tube to the lower column lever.. To check,, look straight up from about the drivers carpet foot plate area at the lower most portion of the maincolumn body right about where the steering shaft comes out.. You'll see the shifter cable extending over and attaches to a 'L' shaped selector arm.. The arm attachment may be loose, and most times you can see that the screws have backed out.. If so,, tighten them both back in, then completely remove one ata timeand use thread locker and re-install and tighten..Repeat on the opposite screw, then check them both for a final tight..

Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 PM

The selector is definately range sloppy as you stated. Thanks for the help. I am going to attempt to correct the problem tomorrow after work. I will let you know how it worked out. Thanks againn.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM

Aclark? Did this work for you? I have the same exact issue with my 2001 Expedition and I am supper excited about this easy solution!

Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Thumbs up 2001 Expedton 5.4 shifter/park/start problems

Yes!! Shifting problem fixed on my 2001 Exp 5.4 - It was not shifting all the way into park (or starting unless I was able to find neutral)... the two screws holding the 'L' were loose. Very easy fix with torx bit screw driver and some locktight. Anyone should be able to complete this repair in < 10 min. Just wiggle the shifter to find the 'L' shaped selector arm.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Does the shifter seam exceptionally 'range sloppy' or do youhave to 'hunt' for selected positions?

A real common problem with thesecolumns is a set oftorx screws (2) that work loose and backout over time.. They attach the selector leverscolumn tube to the lower column lever.. To check,, look straight up from about the drivers carpet foot plate area at the lower most portion of the maincolumn body right about where the steering shaft comes out.. You'll see the shifter cable extending over and attaches to a 'L' shaped selector arm.. The arm attachment may be loose, and most times you can see that the screws have backed out.. If so,, tighten them both back in, then completely remove one ata timeand use thread locker and re-install and tighten..Repeat on the opposite screw, then check them both for a final tight..