Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Lotst of questions and probably more to come!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Default Lotst of questions and probably more to come!!

Hi,

I am new here. Currently my wifes care is a chevy trailblazer extended. We actually love the car. The lease is up next Jan and I being really into cars am startign to look now. Unfortunitly, they discontinued the extend model of the trailblazer. We are now forced to look elsewhere. The best thing about the chevy is that it was smaller than the expedition and bigger than than the explorer. It drove great. Also had decnet room behind the thrid row.

My philosophy is also starting to change on cars. I was always of the feelign, lease every 3 or 4 years, never have a problem or if you did it was coverd under warantee, dump the car for a new one when the lease is up.

Now I am starting to get sick of car payments. My feeling is pick up an suv that is a few years old 2003, 2004, 2005 etc. I want to spend in the low 20's and I don't want it to have more than about 35,000 to 40,000 miles.

I am a gadget guys so the more toys the better.

In my hours of looking on ebay I came upon the expedition. I realized I can get a 2003 eddie bauer with miles in the mid 30's for about $20,000.

So... here are my questions...

Is 2003 a bad year because it is the first year of the new body style?

Is this a really big car to drive? Anyone compare it to the trailblazer ext?

Is it really much bigger than the explorer? How does the gas millage compare? Shoudl I consider the explorer?

How is the space behind the 3rd row?

Can I expect this car to last?

What shoudl I look out for when shopping?

Do you reccomed going for the certified pre-owned from a dealer or just get one from like ebay?

Mechanically do I need to worry about computers breaking? Transmission problmes etc?

Is this a 8 or 9 passanger vehicle? If it is 9... what is the configuration?

Eddie bauer really worh it?

How does it compare with the tahoe?

is it me, or did the older ones seem to have more space behind the third seat?

What other questions should I ask that I am not?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Default RE: Lotst of questions and probably more to come!!

It is bigger, more spacious inside, very comfortable. A diesel engine can be something of a pain to deal with when older so I'd steer toward gas engines because many gas engine parts cross over more easily than anyone thinks. Plus diesels are better with block heaters anyhow. The miles are definitely in the low range so seems adecent deal for the price. First year designs can be a little hokey at first but usually the first owner sees to it to work out some of the kinks if there are any. I've not heard too much bad about them and I've even considered giving up my old cars/trucks for one. They have great ground clearance. That's one thing that always caught my eye about them. Which is great if the side steps are set comfortably down. In my opinion the higher end models like the Eddie Bauer have often satisfied the gadget guys and people who like a sleek refined look to the interior. Not to make an annoyance - but you could try sneaking a quick no-strings-attached test drive at a local dealer of one like it and see if there's any pluses you like a lot that are alike on the one you're thinking of buying. Make sure you ask a lot of questions on condition of this and that before you buy (unless you set up a chance to see it in person).

Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Two things...................

Expeditions are great vehicles

Leasing a car is a horrible idea

Old 04-04-2007, 04:53 PM

I'd agree - Leasing sucks. If you like the vehicle - keep in mind at the end of the lease you'll be responsible to pay the FULL remaining balance. Having thousands on hand for that is another trick.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 AM

I have had a very bad experience relating to leasing. I will never ever go to lease my vehicle anymore. Not recommended for anyone, who doesn't understand the ins and outs of the terms and conditions.

-----------

Contract Hire

Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Yes leasing has some serious drawbacks, but at the same time it also provide a very easy and convenient way for people to get hold of more expensive vehicle than they can afford.