Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2004 Front tires wear uneven

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Default 2004 Front tires wear uneven

I have a 2004 Expedition with 198k miles on it. For the last year, the front tires have began to wear on the insides. I have had it aligned a couple times to correct this and was told the alignment was either OK or slightly out of spec and adjusted in spec. I do see the camber adjustment looks to be adjusted all the way inward on both sides. I think this tire wear is due to a negative camber issue that may not be able to be corrected without changing something else that is worn out. The suspention is all original. Does anyone make an eccentric bushing to be able to gain additional camber adjustment or have other ideas to look at? I don't plan on keeping this vehicle but maybe another year and prefer not to overhaul the front end.

Thanks

Last edited by romeodz; 09-16-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 PM

A new set of coil springs in the front will boost that camber back to the +. As coil springs sag, the camber goes -. You'll probably find that the rears would also need done once you do the front. I would do all 4 corners, along with new shocks to get back to the original ride height and handling.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. In lieu of replacing the coil springs, could the front tire wear issue possible be corrected by installing a camber alignment kit to save money. I understand this probably does nothing for the ride or returning it to its true desired ride. Its not a daily driver but basic transportation around the home and I prefer not to dump a lot of money into it.

Moog MOK80069 Camber and Alignment Kit | Auto Parts Warehouse

Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 08:53 PM

is the tire wear smooth or saw toothed and feather edged? If its smooth its camber wear. if its saw toothed its toe wear. toe worn tires will be noisy on the highway when the wear pattern gets severe.

camber wear is much less common than toe wear. incorrect toe is the greatest tire wearing alignment angle.

does this truck use sla front suspension or solid front axle 3 link suspension? solid front axles do not change camber or toe with spring sag. sla does.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 PM

The tire wear is smooth but with a tapered wear across the width of the tire with the inside of both front tires almost bald an the outer having 3/16" of tread. Yes I understand these tires are beyond worn out! To me it seems like negative camber may be the problem. Can this be corrected with a camber adjusting kit?
I don't know the difference in the SLA or solid axle 3 link suspension is. What is SLA?

Thanks

Old 09-22-2015, 08:47 PM

if it has independent front suspension it most likely has short long arm suspension. a short upper control arm and long lower control arm. this set up is fully adjustable camber, caster and toe.

if it has a solid front axle it will use the 3 link suspension. I haven't seen ford 3 links but the dodge 3 links are not camber adjustable. only toe and caster. If you have this set up I highly doubt the camber is off.

post a pick of your tires at various angles so I can see the wear pattern

are the tires noisy or quiet on the road?