Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2012 Ford Expedition Climate Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Default 2012 Ford Expedition Climate Control Question

I recently purchased for 2012 Ford Expedition EL XLT. You can control the rear climate control from the front of the vehicle OR from the 2nd row.

If the front is set to AC and I turn the heat on for the back of the car, it ONLY blows heat if it is on the hottest setting. If it is not on the farthest heat setting, it just blows air (neither hot nor cold).

If set the REAR climate control to heat, then you can set temperature gradients (warm, warmer, or hot air) - works perfectly!

If I set the front of the car to HEAT and I control the rear climate control from the front of the car, THEN I can control heat gradients (warm, warmer, or hot).

I traded in a 2001 Ford Expedition XLT and I could set the front of the car to AC and turn the heat on in the back of the car and control the temperature. I have 3 kids all in car seats and it is nice being able to control the heat in the back without setting it to the HOTTEST setting.

I took the car to the dealer and if the front is set to AC and the rear is set to HEAT using the front controls, NO heat blows in the rear. We even tried another brand new expedition and it was identical.

Is this how it's supposed to be? It's slightly annoying to set the rear to heat and not have it do anything (using the front controls)....

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 PM

How about for everyone elses Expeditions. If the front AC is turned ON and you set the rear to heat using the dash controls....does it blow warm air in the back?

Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM

Did you ever figure this out? We just bought same model and year and have the same issue. Makes me feel like I need a degree in rocket science.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by sand0113
Did you ever figure this out? We just bought same model and year and have the same issue. Makes me feel like I need a degree in rocket science.
No - but the Ford Service Technicians are worthless. Here is how my climate control works now (as of recently). If it is on FULL AC or FULL Heater, it will be on AC OR Heater. If it is in-between, BOTH AC AND Heater turn on to varying degrees.

In 2013 the Front Right Strut was leaking - a LOT. I went out to my garage one morning and there was an 8" wide puddle of oil under the vehicle from the front right strut. I took the vehicle back to the dealer, and they said, that was "normal" - they are supposed to sweat. To make a long story short, they finally replaced it. 4 months later and less than 3k miles, it did the same thing. I had moved by now, and took it to another dealer. They said this was a "new" warranty repair and that I needed to pay "another" deductible on it. We exchanged some choice words and they refused to budge. Even though this part failed at 4 months and less than 3k miles, Rancho Ford in Temecula refused to repair this unless I paid another deductible. I took my vehicle home. I called them again, and let them know that if this was not resolved shortly I would be on the phone with Ford - surprisingly, he said he made a mistake and their is a 12 month warranty on parts, and since this failed at 4 months, that if I brought the vehicle back, they would repair it (it took them 3 days to replace the strut?!?!).

Anyways...good luck!