Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

4.6 DOHC in an Expedition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Default 4.6 DOHC in an Expedition?

Hi Guys, I'm new to your forum and I'm also new to the Expedition. I recently bought a '98 4X4 Exp. that is in need of an engine. I just happen to have a fairly low mileage Mark VIII that was totalled a week before Christmas. My intention is to use the Mark VIII engine in the Exp. as there appears to be enough room and I know all of the accesories will be suitable. Has anyone here done such a swap? I would like to know what difficulties they ran into with the exhaust, clearancesand electrics mainly, but any other problem areas they can identify would be greatly appreciated. I will most likely usethe Cobra exhaust manifolds and have a muffler shop do that bit of adapting. I'll definately use the Exp. oil pan and pickup. I'll most likelybe use the '93 IMRC setup as it is vacuum operated instead of electric as on the later Mark VIII engines. The ECM for the '96 and later Mark VIII appears to be the same configuration as the Exp. in the number of pins and the size so I think that would work out alright. I would use the Torque converter from the Mark VIII as it is a smaller diameter an has a slightly higher stall built into it. I'm not new to this type of thing as I've done a number of strange swaps in the past. These include a 389 Pontiac into a '54 Jag, a 354 Chrysler Hemi into a MG-TD, a 351c Ford Cobra into a Datsun 240Z and several others over the years. I would appreciate any info or comments you might have regarding this swap. Many thanks, Moto Mel