Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

5.4 engine click noise when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Default 5.4 engine click noise when cold

I have a 99 Expedition with 65,000 miles. It has developed a strange noise for the first two minutes after a cold start. It sounds like a lifter click, but it grows noisier for about 30 seconds, then stops abruptly. It will restart softly, grow louder for 30 seconds, then stop abruptly. I have flushed the motor out repeatedly with the 5-minute can of motor flush, always using 6 quarts of cheap oil to rinse it out, then change the oil again and put in good oil. It's extremely clean. If that noise is a lifter, it's not because it's dirty. The noise seems to be on the driver side, near the top, and toward the rear of the engine.

Has anyone else had this situation? Can a lifter click cycle through a noisy/silent pattern for several minutes while warming up?

rpalm
Chicago, IL

Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Default RE: 5.4 engine click noise when cold

Airconditioner compressor clutch?

Old 07-03-2005, 03:09 AM

It turns out that the noise is a lash adjuster (valve lifter on a SOHC engine). There is a tool that makes it possible to replace rockers and lifters on the Triton engines without removing the heads or even the camshaft, only the valve cover. I ordered a set of new lifters and rockers. We'll see how that goes. This will save me a bundle if it works. Here's the tool: http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...--303-567.HTML

Old 07-13-2005, 03:13 PM

Works like a charm! The new lifters really restored the power, too. Once the valve cover is off, it takes maybe 30 minutes to replace all 8 lifters and rockers on one side of the engine. Turning the crank to get the lobes out of the way makes each replacement easier.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Hate to bring this back from the dead, but this is the only information that I have found that comes close to the symptoms of my dads 2000 Expedition. How difficult is this job to do? My dad and I are both pretty good when it comes to working on things, mechanically inclined if you will. If there is any other information that you could offer, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:21 AM

You will absolutely need the $20 tool for replacing the rockers and lash adjusters. It pushes the valve spring down so you can replace the parts with your other hand. That part is a breeze - if you have that tool.

The real pain is getting the valve covers off and on. Moving things out of the way, dealing with rusty bolts, things like that. Plan on 3-4 hours per side. By the time the valve cover is off, it's easy to see why you want to replace all the rockers and lash adjusters in one shot. The parts are cheap, just change them all so they match. The engine will run much better with a whole new set.

There's nothing techie or tricky about it, just look over the valve covers closely to see what you'll have to move to get them out and back in without wrecking the valve cover gasket.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM

Sweet, thanks!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM

[:@]I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THAT $20 TOOL

Old 10-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Did you ever find out any info on this valve compressor tool?

ORIGINAL: rockbotdom

[:@]I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE CAN I PURCHASE THAT $20 TOOL

Old 10-16-2007, 02:45 PM

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...ompressor.html

Quick Reply: 5.4 engine click noise when cold