Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

5.4l 3v Broken Spark Plug Removal Method

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:23 PM
Default 5.4l 3v Broken Spark Plug Removal Method

So yes I am following the method Lisle spells out but with the tips I have learned over the years from using this tool so much. With my video I got you in as close as possible to really see what the process is so you can see someone else do it first before you attempt it so you can have a successful extraction plug after plug. I really hope this helps as many really shy away from this kind of stuff.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM

Some 2004-2005 Ford F-150 and 2005 F-Super Duty, Expedition, and Navigator vehicles with a 5.4L 3-valve engines may experience difficulty with plug removal. This may cause damage to the spark plug and leave part of the spark plug in the cylinder head, requiring an expensive extraction process, and in some cases, even cylinder head removal or replacement.
Broken Shield in Cylinder Head and Diagram of Shield Welded into the Head

There are special procedures Ford has recommended in a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) that may reduce the number of broken plugs. Unfortunately in the real world, many still break because the spark plugs were not changed early enough. Ford, like many manufactures, now recommends the first spark replacement interval at 100,000 miles. This extended mileage allows carbon and rust to build up around the metal ground electrode shield, and the shield “welds” itself to the cylinder head. Due to the design and extender reach of the spark plug, the technicians, no matter how careful they are, cannot predict and/or feel if a plug is going to break until it happens. This is frustrating to both the consumer and the shop, as the cost to extract (depending on how many are broken) can easily double or triple the cost of the spark plug replacement.
Broken Ford Spark Plugs and Spark Plug Diagram

Our recommendation is to change the plugs earlier than the manufacture recommends. We have found that a 75,000 mile interval is a safer bet.
If a spark plug does break, we have the special tools required. Unfortunately, we also have the experience of extracting many spark plugs on these types of engines. Not a month goes by where we don’t field a call from a frustrated customer, saying that Ford has told them the only repair is to replace the cylinder heads.
So if you have this type of vehicle or if you experience a repair facility telling you need heads replaced, give us a call. We can help.

Last edited by skip1930; 01-08-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM

Now here is what you do for a CHANCE of success in plug removal.

1-Bring the engine up to operating temperature.
2-Mix a pint of Carburetor cleaner and a dash of Automatic Transmission Fluid together.
3-With your turkey baster fill the spark plug void with this fluid. To the top.
4-Let her sit all night, come back next morning.
5-Spark plug socket and ratchet. JUST BARLY CRACK THE PLUG LOOSE.
6-Go a way for an hour. Hope the fluid flows down alongside the plugs.
7-S-L-O-W-L-Y move the plug looser, tighter, looser, tighter. Back and forth.
8-Work each plug out slowly and carefully.
9-New plugs get a bit of Permatex Neversease on the threads.
10-The lower shell also gets a dab of high temp lube.
11-Screw in the plugs.

No need to squeeze the water out of the threads. Just snug + a grunt. It's an aluminum head treat it 'softly'.

skip.

Last edited by skip1930; 01-08-2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: 'fluid mix' changed to 'fluid together'
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Somebody had sent me a private message right after I posted these two posts on broken spark plugs.

I tried to view this private message, however the internet said that it was necessary for me to download some program in order to be able to read this message. My machine will NOT allow me to download this program. No big deal.

Who ever wants to send me a message, send to
owlsnest34@hotmail.com

Thanx. skip.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Default Thank you, Makuloco & Skip. Soak SP509 plug threads?

Our 2008 Expedition has BROWN coil boots.

Parts stores say Motorcraft SP509 spark plug go in 5.4L three-valve engines with BROWN coil boots. VIN indicates 12/2007 manufacture.

They had one SP509.
The threads go all the way to the "J" tip. No ground sleeve.

Should each spark plug be soaked in Ford's carbuerator cleaner, unscrew 1/8th turn to allow it to wick down through the threads, before removal?

Thank you.

Last edited by Robert Gift; 02-12-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Gift
Our 2008 Expedition has BROWN coil boots.

Parts stores say Motorcraft SP509 spark plug go in 5.4L three-valve engines with BROWN coil boots. VIN indicates 12/2007 manufacture.

They had one SP509.
The threads go all the way to the "J" tip. No ground sleeve.

Should each spark plug be soaked in Ford's carbuerator cleaner, unscrew 1/8th turn to allow it to wick down through the threads, before removal?

Thank you.
Those ones come out like any other spark plug no problems, blow out the spark plug well and pull the plugs you will have no problems.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:44 PM

Also here is a new video on what to do when the Lisle tool breaks while trying to extract the broken spark plug-

Old 12-03-2015, 10:36 PM

I don't remember the specifics, but I just read yesterday that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford/Lincoln for intentionally using faulty spark plugs in quite a few different models of their vehicles. The spark plugs break off and then more money is spent removing them. The lawsuit is still ongoing I believe. My Navigator was listed as one of those vehicles but I haven't had any issues....yet.