Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2001 Expedition Question (Tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Default 2001 Expedition Question (Tranny)

Hi all.

Yesterday, as I was driving home, I noticed how I seemed not to be able to gain greater momentum with gas pedal presses. Not knowing much about the mechanics of vehicles, I had initially assumed that it might have been an engine problem (feeling that it was due to a loss of compression). But, as I continued on home, I noticed how the problem (at that time, going in and out) seemed more of an issue regarding the Tranny's inability to shift into higher gear. By the time that I got home, the matter had ceased being periodical, and had grown to be 'constant'. It turned out that I could go no more than about 22-23mph before our SUV emitted laboring sounds. I could get it to shift up if I deepend the gas pedal - kinda forcing a higher gear in. But I discontinued that procedure due to the very probable fact of it causing even greater problems for me. The dip-stick showed a 'dry' level, when the truck was shut down for a few minutes, and I added two pints of Mercon Transmission fluid. I had to make a short run, shortly thereafter, and hhd hoped the two added pints would have bettered the condition. But, alas, the problem persisted. Being that this issue just surfaced, yesterday, I am hoping that it is nothing more serious than the lack of a proper fluid level - and that I will be able to counter from it by adding more. But could someone inform me as to how many pints are actually needed, when the respective resevoir has run empty?

Advanced thanks.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Default RE: 2001 Expedition Question (Tranny)

Check the trans fluid level with engine running, vehicle in park or neutral. Fluid at operating temp (1-2 miles should do it). Level should be in crosshatch section.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: BRETM

Check the trans fluid level with engine running, vehicle in park or neutral. Fluid at operating temp (1-2 miles should do it). Level should be in crosshatch section.
Thanks BretM.

I did indeed travel through this procedure, and hoped that it would spell a bettering of my Expy's condition. But that wasn't to be. After giving what you suggested a shot (and finding that nothing changed, after driving it around a few blocks), I drove out to a transmission repair location. The owner test drove the vehicle, and - as soon as he started the truck up - he was concerned about how high the truck was idling (hovering around 2000rpm). He stated that this wasn't good, at all, but that he'd see what he could do about determining what its causative factor was.

As far as the tranny was concerned, he said that I only had first & second gears. He showed me how to go about manual shifting between the first and second gears, but also warned that this wasn't good on the engine. If the tranny can be repaired without dropping it, he said that I'd be looking at a few hundred dollars. But if the tranny had to be dropped, then the repair costs for rebuilding could skyrocket to somewhere around $1400. So that is where I am right now, and I will be taking the truck in tomorrow morning. Of course, diagnosis is free, and I will be armed with whatever the monetary damages are to be - beforehand. Our Expy is a 2001, with just under 140K on it. As we bought the vehicle used, in 2004, we're reasonably sure that all components are original. He said that the Expy's are typically ready for a tranny rebuild at somewhere about the 100K mark, and that it appears I had done considerably better than that.

We definitely can't afford to go new, so we have to get our wagon tended to. I just hope that we won't get snowed into paying for the worst case scenario, when it could possibly be corrected by a much-less-costly repair effort.

Blessings,
Nathan

Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 PM

Nathan:

What did you find out on your Expidition? Mine is doing that very same thing.

Ron.