Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

ABS Light Problem and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Default ABS Light Problem and Fix

I left my 1999 Ford Expedition with the yellow ABS light illuminated at my local ford dealership here in North Dallas. It also needed brakes, shocks and suspension work as well. Later after a brief phone conversation with the service assistant I was told that the ABS Module and rear wheel speed sensor both needed to be replaced. The bad news was that it would cost $639 for the whole hydrolic assy just to get a new module. I could not get just a module. The rear wheel speed sensor was only $27. I was told that the brakes would work fine;however, while the light was on that the ABS feature would be inoperative. I decided to wait on both. When I picked up my vehicle I asked to speak with the brake technician to get an understanding of the problem. He told me that replacing just the rear wheel sensor might solve the problem. He showed me where the sensor was on top of the rear axle gear box and said it was a simple repair. So I bought a new rear wheel speed sensor and the installation took only a few minutes. I have driven the car three times now since the installation and the light has stayed out. So far so good!

Old 09-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Default RE: ABS Light Problem and Fix

yea very common problem, chances are it just got fouled with a lil bit of metal on the tip of the mag. normally you can them off an reinstall them , an be good to go ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 PM

Man, I'm driving around with my ABS light and my Parking Brake light that are both on and it doesn't mess with anything...sensors only matter if what they are sensing is actually happening...way I figure it...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 09-04-2005, 03:00 AM

Besides it add's color to the dash at nite , normally the park brake is a silly lil card board type switch , for the e- brake lever thats outta adj .An if your ABS lite is on you got full brake pressure an no ABS-- COOL

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM

So can you help a beginner understand how you fixed the rear ABS Sensor? I was just told that my 2000 Expedition needs its rear sensor replaced. The total charge is over $150, and am like that other guy"if it aint broken........." but if i can fix it i am always willing to try as long as i dont make it worst.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Talking Abs sensor install

I would just like to thank the people in this forum for giving me help finding out that a bad abs sensor was my problem. The ABS light on the display panel would show up as I would start to drive forward. I read the forum and bought a new sensor at Autozone for $20. The fix was easy just take out the spare tire crawl up under rear and over the axle and you can get right to the issue. It took more time taking out the spare than to fix the sensor. It would have cost $184 if ford was to fix it thanks for saving me $164.....Thanks

Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Exclamation

I have let my 97 expo sit for about a year with little drive or starting, im trying to sell it and i just did a whole new tune up, i replaced the rear speed sensor and bled all four brakes but i am still getting an abs light! What the hell! I need to sell it and be done!

What else could it be? i have turned the engine over about a dozen times and the light is still on.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 PM

I have 1999 E150 and my ABS light is on - when I start the vehicle with my foot on the brake pedal the light stays off until I release the pedal (even before the vehicle is in gear). If I start without my foot on the pedal the light comes on immediately after the vehicle has been started. Since vehicle does not need to move for the light to come on I am pretty sure that its not a sensor; I have tried to use friends ABS code reader but it would not communicate - how ever it seemed to clear the code and the light was off for about 10 to 15 miles and than it came back on.... any ideas anyone?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:52 AM

yea....common problem this ABS Light and had too, bt now ok with it .....

Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Default 1999 Lincoln Navigator stuck in wheel drive

I have a 99 Navigator that is all wheel drove. It also has a switch to put it in 4 wheel drive and 4 low. It was put into 4 high and now it won't come out. So far I have removed the shift motor and it shows that it is 2 wheel drive. The shift motor does work and it does go into 4 low and comes back out. The light does go out and I have scanned the gem module and it shows no codes.

Quick Reply: ABS Light Problem and Fix