Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Door Ajar Light Problem - Ford Exped.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Default Door Ajar Light Problem - Ford Exped.

Can anyone help? The door ajar light in my Ford Expedition keeps coming on and beeping. Sometimes the interior light comes on as well. I took it to the service center, and they lubricated the switches. That did not fix it, and then they said the drivers door switch needed replaced, and so they replaced it. It is still doing it! What could be the problem, and how can I get this light to go off and the beeping to stop? I am so frustrated!

Thanks!
mholder

Old 12-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Door Ajar Light Problem - Ford Exped.

Sorry, no help from me. Just thought I'd let you know your not alone...My wife's 2003 does the same thing. Took it to the stealer and they could not duplicate the problem. It is intermitant but a pain in the a$$ just the same. My alarm has been activated my it a few times too...I'll post if we ever get it fixed.

Dave

Old 12-21-2005, 09:57 AM

Well if it were mine , I would just un-plug it ,,, all these vechile's now days with there bells an whistle's, bound to have some problem along the way .

Old 12-21-2005, 10:02 AM

next time the lite comes on , try pushing in on each door from outside the vechile, an see if you can get the lite to turn off, you probaly got one switch outta adjustment, I think I read somewhere that the back switch was giving folks problems, not real sure on this one . sorry cant give you a fer sure fix .

Old 12-31-2005, 10:04 AM

This problem is a pain in the a--, but usually spraying the driver side door latch with some WD40 and opening and shutting the door a few times works. Obviously it is just a small sensor problem, and either dirt or maybe the cold makes it stick or malfunction

Old 01-03-2006, 07:04 PM

I have this same problem on my '97 Expy EB. It seems to hardly ever happen once the truck has sat for a while, but once it has been running and I am doing some errands (grocery store, stopping at the gas station[:@], video store, stopping at the gas station[:@], pizza, stopping at the gas station[:@]), it seems to do it. The dome lights stay on as well, though they tend to go out after I have driven a few blocks. ALso, if the door ajar light is on and I get out of the vehicle and close the door and lock the vehicle, the dome lights and the running board lights will stay on. SOmetimes for a few minutes and sometimes for over an hour...they have always gone out on their own eventually.

I have tried opening and closing all the doors to see which one is the culprit (including the tailgate and the tailgate glass). Nothing seems to isolate the problem. I agree with all previous posters...it is a pain in the A##!

Someone out there must have a solution.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:03 PM

My 99 Expedition does this too..

My conclusion:

It's a MYSTERY.

When I see the running board lights on for what seems like an eternity, I just shake my head and think " I bet a dead battery will turn your butt off."

Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 AM

Thank you for the WD40 suggestion. I have a '97 Expedition EB. The problem started with the Door Ajar light and escalated to the interior lights and the running lights staying on permanently. I have had problems with the Door Ajar light before but it always got better on it's own. Thanks to your suggestion, I WD40'd all of the door locks and the rear hatch and glass locks and everything is back to normal. I won't have to face a dead battery this morning with an expensive trip to the dealer for repairs that may or may not work.

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:18 PM

My wifes 03' does the same thing. It's always intermittent. It usually does it when it is real dirty. It seems to go away after i give it a good wash and wipe inside all the doors really well. It's really annoying.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:33 PM

The recommendation by Margaret8890 was right on the mark - sprayed WD40 on all of my door latches and my "Door Ajar" problem has completely disappeared (knock on wood - it has been working for 4 days now)!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Ajar Light Problem - Ford Exped.