Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

How to Scan Trouble Codes at home???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 AM
Default How to Scan Trouble Codes at home???

Can you check the trouble codes on the 1999 Expedition (EB) without hooking up an OBD-II scanner??? On my Corvette, I can short two pins on the diagnositc interface and a sequence of flashing lights on the dashboard tells me the trouble codes. Is there a similar way to do it for Expedition?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Default RE: How to Scan Trouble Codes at home???

is your corvette pre 96 ? if so it has the obd I system and they are much easier to do without a tool then obd II systems are. I had some kid with a 99 mustang cobra that said i wasted my money getting a obd II scanner for my 01 mustang because he said he was able to retrieve the codes by turning the key back and forth or somthing and it kicked it into a code retreive mode and started spitting out codes with no scanner. I personally never tried it nor do i know if it would work on your paticular ford even if it did,, but if he was telling me the truth there may be a way of getting the codes with out the scanner... i had already bought a scanner by the time he told me so i never got interested enough to double check to see if he was right. hope you get it figured out..

Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 AM

Yes, My Corvette is pre 1996 and is OBD-I. I was hoping there'd be a way for OBD-II systems as well. So far I haven't had any luck finding the information. A friend of mine has the scanner so I guess I will borrow it from him and check it out if I don't find any info soon.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Does your exped. have a digital odometer? If so you may be able to check the codes by holding down the trip button and turning the key to the on position(do not crank the vehicle). once the guages have run a diagnostic on themselves you can press the trip button again(more than once for different features). I have read trouble codes this way on my 02 exped. Once you are through with checking them just turn the key off and on a time or two and it will go back to normal.