Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Mechanic I'm not!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Question Mechanic I'm not!

I am in serious need of help! We just recently aquired a 1997 Expedition XLT 4X4 and for some reason the door ajar light stays on sometimes, which causes the interior lights to stay on. We have had it about 2 months and this has happened atleast once every 2 wks. We tried shutting the doors over and over, locking and unlocking with the remote, and end up taking the fuse out for the night. However taking the fuse out means other things are "unplugged" such as the windows! If anyone knows the remedy or where we should start, we could sure use the expertise! Thanks bunches!

Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Usually its the switches in the door latches are sticking.. Try spraying the latches with a lube like a silcone based spray, then open/close the doors.. Most times they'll fix themselves..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:21 PM

are the door sensors in the latch or in the doorjam/door?

check all the door button sensors....any of them obviously broken or bent?

have someone watch the door ajar light and push in every door button senson by hand all the way till they bottom out....

if no luck then you can check every door button sensor by loosening them and jumping the two wires going into the sensor.....complete the circuit and replace bad sensor...kind of a pain...but thats what I would do....could be something as simple as the wire plug on the back side of the door sensor coming undone....or it could be something as ugly as a cut wire somewhere in the door harness....which is a pain to narrow down...

door sensors complete a circuit when operating correctly...the door agar light sounds like one of them is malfunctioning

Last edited by digital_diversion; 01-20-2010 at 02:23 PM.