Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

new owner of a used Expedition w/ ignition cylinder issues

Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Default new owner of a used Expedition w/ ignition cylinder issues

First let me say that I am a new to owner a Ford, always been a GM owner but got a great deal on a "mechanics special" 01 XLT Expedition and I like it!!! also, thanks for existing Ford Forum!!!

so, I got only one key and the previous owner snapped that key off in the ignition and really damaged the cylinder trying to extract it. therefore I do need a new complete unit and have found quite a few at an affordable price.

I have some questions.....
1. if I buy the complete unit with the transponder keys, do I still have to take it to Ford and have them program it?

2. can I just install the non-transponder units?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:40 AM

You don't have to go to Ford to have the new keys programmed to the vehicle, a capable locksmith can handle all this for you at a much lower rate.

There is always the anti-theft system to contend with and you might be able to have that disabled. The locksmith with the right equip might be able to do that for you.

I would suggest that you have the entire job done by the locksmith because once you change anything you need to have the system programmed correctly or you won't even be able to start the vehicle.

Once you have 2 keys properly coded you can code up to 8 keys yourself if you choose to do so.